• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Any mountain bikers out there?

Karlm

NAXJA Forum User
Hey there,

After being out of cycling for about 10 years, I'm looking to get a new mountain bike. After looking around for a while, I am blown away by all that has changed since I last was riding. It looks like I could spend as much on a new bike as I have on my Jeep. Right now I am looking for advice pointing me in the right directions for my needs. I don't need anything to fancy, I'll only be going out once or twice a week, but then again i don't want to outgrow my gear in a year either. I can spend a few bucks on a new bike. My job is making me spend my summer vacation going to trainings, but the good news is they are paying me close to a G a week so I will have a few unanticipated bucks laying around. I know i could throw that into the Jeep, but I need something to get my chubby a$$ up off the couch and out doing something. Thanks for any help.

I'm a biker, but more road than mountain, and I don't replace bikes very often -just keep rebuilding. My road bike is an 87, my MTB an 85, so I guess I can't tell you much about the new technology. But I just thought I ought to reassure you that you're not the only cyclist out there.

I'm in the same boat. I was really into it like ten years ago and am looking to get back into it, but everything has changed so much. What I'm looking at getting is a steel hard tail since I really dont need a fully suspended bike and the steel not only absorbs the shock better, but it doesn't get the stress fractures like aluminum gets. I also want to get one with disk brakes, but I haven't decided whether or not to get mechanical or hydraulic disks. I'm not a whole lot of help since I'm just trying to get back into it myself, but I also wanted to let you know that you are not the only mountain biker out there.
Good luck

Karlm said:
Hey there,

After being out of cycling for about 10 years, I'm looking to get a new mountain bike. After looking around for a while, I am blown away by all that has changed since I last was riding. It looks like I could spend as much on a new bike as I have on my Jeep. Right now I am looking for advice pointing me in the right directions for my needs. I don't need anything to fancy, I'll only be going out once or twice a week, but then again i don't want to outgrow my gear in a year either. I can spend a few bucks on a new bike. My job is making me spend my summer vacation going to trainings, but the good news is they are paying me close to a G a week so I will have a few unanticipated bucks laying around. I know i could throw that into the Jeep, but I need something to get my chubby a$$ up off the couch and out doing something. Thanks for any help.

I just got a new mt bike for a daily driver when my Jeep was down for 2 months. It's a 2 year old Giant Yukon and I got it for $150 from a bike rental place in old town. Now that the Jeep's running again, I actually miss the bike!
Billy

I'm fairly big into it. I have a Diamond Back, I really like it. I would sugguest a Schwinn, Raleigh, or something along those lines. You can buy a pretty nice one for around $300. I went crazy and spent about $700ish on one................before I had my Jeep of corse.

Def get shocks. It helps

JeepFreak21 said:
I just got a new mt bike for a daily driver when my Jeep was down for 2 months. It's a 2 year old Giant Yukon and I got it for $150 from a bike rental place in old town. Now that the Jeep's running again, I actually miss the bike!
Billy
I also got mine from a rental place. In my opinion that is the way to go. I don't care for a full suspension, just doesn't feel right to me, however you will want shocks up front (don't even think you can get one without anymore).

I don't have disc brakes though they seem to be the way to go. When looking, if the bike doesn't have disc, many frames allow you to convert when/if you are ready. I would just make sure you are able to do it before purchasing it as I am sure they will be standard real soon and prices may go down a tad. the difference from what I understand is night and day.

I got mine a Cannondale f500 for around $350 from the rental shop a few years ago. This bike is perfect for me and though I am by no means a hard core biker, for the couple day a week person who hits mountain trails and gets the crap scared out of him once an awhile, this bike is perfect.

I've been mountain biking since 1990 not including a few years with my first mtb a heavy KHS that didn't go off road much. My aluminum hardtail will be ten years old next year. I've ridden and raced that thing all over and not once been concerned about the frame. There is absolutely no excuse to buy a steel frame in todays market when $300 to $500 will get you a good aluminum frame with ok low end components brand new. Advice I've heard about buying a new bike is shop the components, find the highest level components within the price range your looking at. And like the others have said used bikes can be a great value. I don't have experience with disc brakes either.
Here is a great thread on the topic of finding a good bike.
http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=417

The real question is how much are you willing to spend? You can get a pretty well equiped hardtail for around $700 - $800. If you are ever going to be in the Sacramento area after you pick up a bike let me know and we can do some riding out at Folsom Lake.

P.S. Go to www.mtbreview.com for some real world reviews of the latest stuff.

Last edited:
I'll second mtbreview.com - I have had an Aluminum framed Specialized Hardrock Comp for just over a year now and have had no problems with it. Good, solid hardtail with a healthy front fork (I'm a big guy, it's needed).

Hey Yucca, how much did the hardrock run you? My brother (who lives in Canon City) is looking to pick up a new mountain bike.

What type of mountain biking are you doing? cross country, freeriding with drops and jumping, downhill, or just a little of everything?

This will make a big difference on what bike you buy. 3 years ago I spent $1100 on a Specialized Rockhopper hardtail. I would not suggest full suspension unless you are willing to pay a lot more. You can get an awesome hardtail frame with good components for around $1k but if you spent that on a full suspension, the frame would not be of the same quality and the components would be less than adequate.

Some brands I would check out are Kona, specialized, and giant. Cannondale makes a great bike, but for some reason I just don't like how they ride. If your riding 2 times a week, look for Shimano XT components. The LX stuff is good for the price but you will be making a lot of adjustments and in my opinion XTR stuff is overkill for that amount of riding.

Dean

The reason why I stated earlier that I'm considering a steel hardtail vs aluminum is not that aluminum is inferior, I just personally prefer the way that a steel hardtail rides vs aluminum. Aluminum does not flex and is more rigid and a steel rides a lot smoother. Maybe its because steel is what I rode for years and thats what I'm used to, but I prefer it. Also, in the past some companies, like Cannondale for example, had issues with their aluminum frames. Cannondale is a great company, and I'm sure that they have since addressed the problem.

So sorry to hijack here, but what does everyone think is better, mechanical or disk brakes? From what I hear they both have their advantages, but I can't decide.

I spent some time wrenching for shops and here is what i think. Disc brakes kick A$$. They come in both mechanical(cable actuated or hydraulic). You gotta love one finger braking. IMO, Avid mechanical disk brakes provide the most bang for the buck, but if you got the cash go hydraulic. You should be able to get a good mtb for around $550-$750, hardtail, Shimano Doere thru XT(alot of companies use the entire line of Shimano but mix and match the parts) and a decent front suspension fork, (Manitou or RockShox) with disk brakes(maybe), but I wouldn't skimp here. If you don't get disc brakes make sure the wheels have hubs that are ready to bolt on the disc brake rotors, and that the frame has the tabs to mount the disc calipers. The best deals are usually at the end summer, around September, if that matters. Don't count out the new bread of alu. bikes, alot has changed in the last 10 years. Just go pick out 4 bikes in your price range , 2 steel , 2 alu. and give them all a test ride, you'll be amazed how the subtle changes in each brands frame geometry affect comfort and ride.

I have been out of the circle for about a year, so forgive the mispellings.....

Specialized and Trek are reasonably priced bikes. Specialized gives you better overall components. I noticed REI's higher-end K2 sales to be good bang for the bucks, too. Cannondale has the nicest welds I have ever seen in the bikes. The components are the most important. At least get the XT, or if you can get the XT-R derailures and shifters. I spent more money getting the lower end components and then upgrading to the XT-R than I would have had if I had gone with good components to start with. The XT-R made a whole lot of difference in the ride quality.

Disk brakes are nice on the downslopes, but pricey and a bit heavy. If you want them, get the bike with disks - don't upgrade (too much headache, too much added cost). Hard tails are lighter than full suspension. Fox makes some real nice (pricey) forks. You can get combination clipless pedals that you can also use without cleats. Or if you want super light, get the "eggbeaters". Try to get carbon fiber handles. They help reduce vibration into your arms and weigh less, too.

My friend tends to wait for the time when the new bikes are released and then buys last year's model, sometimes at about half the retail price. He has 2 carbon fiber full suspension bikes that he paid less than $1000/each for.

If it helps, I got my Specialized from supergo.com. They often have some kind of sale or special.

Eddie

I have a skinny tube Gary Fisher Tassajara, had it since 95. Everything has been upgraded, somethings 2 times now. I run STX/RC components (derauillers, cranks, lower gears), Deore XT hubs, Mavic 217 rims, got a new Cane Creek headset, RockShox Judy TT front susp, Chili 0* neck, Tektro V brakes and a nice cushy seat(with the testicle friendly hole cut out). I love it, wil never own another bike after this, perfect balance of weight/performance and on/off road capability. I still have clipless pedals, but they're so much easier to ride with on the street.

get what is comfortable for you. full suspension if you plan on doing alot of downhill...great downhills in the oakland hills. the santa cruz and coastal range have some trails that'll make you sh...anyways... try out alot of bikes because they wont all feel the same. also remember to talk the salesman down, mark-up on a mtb is pretty silly. remember to get a bike for its frame (i prefer made in USA) first. components second (better components will last longer and stay within adjustment longer). i ride everything, but i like my s-works the best. its going on 10y/o now and it still rips the coastal range with me. a bicycle wheel IS a disc brake! the only difference is the level of modulation you get from "discs" is a bit more precise and from there you can get into hydro systems...etc.
with bicycles you get what you pay for if you go the quality rout. custom fromes are becoming common so try those sites. anvil is good. steelman is local. try local guys and they will lifetime their frames... just my 2%
have fun!

Wow,

Thanks for all of the input. I went down and checked out some Specialized bikes today. It is getting close to the end of the season, so the shops seem willing to deal. I am going to go around to some shops on Satuday to take a bunch of bikes for a spin. Right now it looks like the big price jump is going from hardtail to full suspension. I am going to have to ride both to see which I prefer.

I work at a bike shop here in town, and just recently bought myself a Kona Blast. I could not be happier with it. Trek has a nice deal on a 4300 with disks already on it, we're selling them for around $450. Otherwise, if I didn't get the bikeshop discount, I'd go with a Specialized. They have some nice deals out there, and as said before, try to find the Deore XT components. Some Specialized come with Asus, and I just don't like those things. Don't keep adjustment very well, sloggish shifting... Not cool in my book. My vote goes for a Kona if you can find it though.

thecroat1 said:
The real question is how much are you willing to spend? You can get a pretty well equiped hardtail for around $700 - $800. If you are ever going to be in the Sacramento area after you pick up a bike let me know and we can do some riding out at Folsom Lake.

P.S. Go to www.mtbreview.com for some real world reviews of the latest stuff.
THAT'S the main question. I've been riding and racing mountain bikes for almost 10 years now. I have over $3000 invested in my current bike and am now looking to upgrade to a new frame. What I'm trying to say here is that "good" is a relative term. You can get a very good bike for $400. A 22lb, new technology, full suspension race bike will set you back about $4000.
It all comes down to $

Back