• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help needed to identify what this is.

Frakkedup

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all, new to forum and xj's, owned it a cpl of weeks and working hard on it, the steering column was in pieces and I have a piece which I cannot identify, maybe you could help, I was pulling the cover of the column and a piece dropped out what is it and where does it go? My searching on diagrams of steering columns didn't yield any results.
It's a 93 XJ
NEQFkZ

A pic???

I looked in my factory book for a 1990, did not see that part but the diagrams in the book dont show everything. however found this...

https://www.fixya.com/uploads/images/7_20_2012_11_14_04_pm.jpg

it is from a 1990 Wrangler. the "ignition switch actuator rack" looks simular to the part you showed. Not the same, but simular.

Does everything work on yours with that part not in it? will jeep start? accessory position? does the ignition lockout if tranny not in Park? do the signals work, do signals self cancel after a turn? hazard lights, cruise control, horn, wipers, washers, high beams, etc... function as normal? check all the steering column functions, as likely one or more of them wont work with that part missing. that will help you identify it by knowing what function it effects when missing.

good luck.

ps also when reassembling, remove old grease and dirt on the sliding , rotation, cam surfaces, then regrease with clean plastic compatible dielectric grease. use dielectric grease so that it wont cause a short circuit the grease bridges over electric contacts.

the lock cylinder should be lubed with dry graphite, "key lock lubricant". blow it into the key hole and then work the key in and out/ rotate to work the graphite in. Graphite is conductive so only use in the lock cylinders while you are at it, lube the other key holes on doors and hatch , then do your house door locks. this should be a yearly thing on your car(s), house, and Jeep locks.

That Piece pushes the rod that pushes the ignition switch I do believe. If you just got a jumble of parts out of your column good luck with that jigsaw puzzle. You will definitely want a manual or even perhaps worth pulling the wheel off one at a junkyard just to see and take pictures. Also if that fell out on its own there are probably a few other pieces you will need! Good luck. I have had no fun re-assembling steering columns myself.

Many thanks to black1990jeep, it was indeed the high beam switch actuator and it was a biatch to put back in, column is now complete and steering wheel going on today, discovered horn is pooched as is steering lock and key cylinder as well, so looking at wiring in a toggle switch and push button start, it's only going to be a trail rig, so not concerned about security as it will be garaged.
You guys rock with your help

Back