• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broken battery tray stud

90cherk

NAXJA Forum User
I'm in the middle of replacing the battery on my '90 and the battery tray broke when removing the hold down bracket as the nuts were rusted and frozen. I've already ordered a replacement tray and hold down but in removing the broken tray, I sheared off one of the studs as those were also rusted and frozen. ( I cut off the other two nuts after that happened) My question is, are those studs welded in? If not, how can I get the broken one out, or should I just rely on the two remaing studs.
Thanks in advance.

I'm in the middle of replacing the battery on my '90 and the battery tray broke when removing the hold down bracket as the nuts were rusted and frozen. I've already ordered a replacement tray and hold down but in removing the broken tray, I sheared off one of the studs as those were also rusted and frozen. ( I cut off the other two nuts after that happened) My question is, are those studs welded in? If not, how can I get the broken one out, or should I just rely on the two remaing studs.

Thanks in advance.
It's been a while since I took off a stock tray, but I believe I cut off/ground flush the broken stud, and simply drilled through and dropped a bolt in through the top

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

On my 97 the studs are welded in
I soaked them with wed 40 before removing them and they were still tight but came loose eventually
If u break them just cut em off and drill them out to replace with bolts

Rcfan37

On my '90 they are simply bolted in. My Jeep has no rust so they come off pretty easily.

HTH
todd

Back