• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can someone with a scan tool verify something for me?

Thorguy57

NAXJA Forum User
Howdy everyone. Just wondering if anyone out there with a 98-01 (97 definitely has a different TCM) and a scanner that can communicate with the TCM can verify something for me. I bought a Jeep for my daughter and have been fixing some bugs. I came across something odd. If I check the TPS through the PCM it is showing 4V WOT and 100 percent throttle position. Now if I go to the TCM and check it shows 14v and around 200 percent throttle position. I verified the signal at the TCM connector and it is in fact only getting the 4 volts to it as it should. The leads me to believe that I possibly have an issue with the TCM. Or wondering if Chrysler might have just done something crazy with the programming to make us beat our heads against a wall even more than we already do. I was just curious if anyone with the ability could tell me what theirs reads. I ran these test KOEO. Thanks for any assistance you can provide me.

I didn't think you could query the TCM directly with a scanner? I know it's getting the exact same signal as the engine computer, whereas the older Jeeps had a dual output sensor. The wiring diagram show the signal T'd off at the engine computer. IT shifting okay otherwise?

You can get TCM information with specific scanners. I used my Modi’s to get onto it. There are several other scan tools that scan though. Typically the ones they sell or use for autozone can not though. I just barely got the Jeep so only drove it home. The TCM had a code for the TCC solenoid which I fixed so I have to install the pan and put some fluid in it before I start it up. I did see where it “T”s off the TPS for both the PCM and TCM. Looks fine on live data stream on PCM and voltage is consistent with PCM live data at TCM connector. That’s why it just seemed odd that my TCM was showing it at 14v at over 200% throttle position. I checked my mom’s 97 and hers shows it correct when I scan TCM love data at ~4V WOT KOEO. I tried to put my TCM from my 98 in hers to verify but go figure that part is different between 97 and 98 models. I bought a used TCM for $30 that is supposed to be good. I’m really just looking to compare values. Just wondered if anyone was able to check theirs

Back