• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rough idle when ac or fan is on

NathanJ777

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99 4.0, when the electric fan is on or the AC which I know also activates the electric fan I get a rough idle. Has anyone else had this issue? Any advice would be appreciated.

Are you sure the symptoms are a rough idle ? There is no correlation that I know of between the e-fan running and the idle speed.

Any signs or symptoms of low battery voltage ?

I once had an e-fan that became out of balance from either old age or damage. Whenever it was on, it created vibrations and noises that were very noticeable in the passenger cabin that one might suppose were caused by a rough idle.

Last edited:
Are you sure the symptoms are a rough idle ? There is no correlation that I know of between the e-fan running and the idle speed.

Any signs or symptoms of low battery voltage ?

I once had an e-fan that became about of balance from either old age or damage. Whenever it was on it created vibrations and noises that were very noticeable in the passenger cabin that one might suppose were caused by a rough idle.

Interesting, my voltage seems ok although my cables are crap. I have a new set of cables from K suspension I haven't had time to put on. When I got the Jeep the factory E fan was bad. I replaced it with one from Amazon, I wonder if its a low quality fan. Thanks for the heads up.

My 2k does the extreme rough idle thing when the AC is turned on not to mention overheating the engine during prolonged idles.
I'm thinking the AC compressor is shot with 360k miles on it or a high pressure situation with a plugged accumulator.
Thinking on changing the compressor and the rest of the AC components maybe this Spring.

Back