• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Used Dana 30 HP - Can feel spider gears engaging

maxbraketorque

NAXJA Forum User
I picked up a used Dana 30 HP this past weekend that was from a '96 or '97 XJ (BOM is 510502-77). I had a chance to inspect it further today, and I can feel and hear the spider gears meshing as I rotate one axle while holding the pinion yoke stationary. I don't hear this when I rotate the axle shafts in the Dana 30 LP that's on my XJ (while holding the pinion yoke stationary).

With the diff cover off the used Dana 30 HP, I can see a small amount of rotational play of one of the side gears on its axle shaft splines, and one of the spider gears has some radial play on the spider gear shaft. Its a relatively small amounts of play for both, but I can definitely see it. The teeth surfaces on the spider gears don't look obviously worn, but there is of course some shine on the teeth faces.

Since I don't feel or hear the spider gears meshing in the Dana 30 LP on my XJ, I'm wondering if the noise and the play is normal.

Pry up on the bottom of the ring gear and see if you have any play in the carrier bearings.
You can measure the allowable play in the thrust washers for the spider gears. Usually not critical but I've replaced both the spider gears and the thrust washers. I don't recall the numbers, you'll have to look it up.
Try moving the pinion yoke, the quickest way to get a feel for the play in my experience is to slap the side of the yoke with the palm of your hand hard (use a glove slap it hard).
Check the color of the spider gears, burnt blue or black and something is obviously wrong. Look closely at the spider gear surface and check for micro spalling. The spider gears seem to be surface hardened, when/if the surface hardening wears through they can self destruct fairly quickly.
I always check my drained oil, the bottom of the case and up near the pinion bearing. On many diffs there is a sight galley or indentation up near the pinion bearing that can trap and hold metal flakes. A strong magnet shows up problems quickly, a little metal is OK, a lot signifies a problem.

Thanks much. I'll have a look at those items later today. I did find that Yukon Gear sells a new spider gear assembly for only $115, so not too expensive to replace if needed.

Back