• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can't find Mopar Crankshaft Position Sensor

lawsoncl

NAXJA Forum User
I can't find a Mopar one. The dealer says they are discontinued and they just get theirs from Napa. Who made Mopar? What brand would you suggest as they all look like they came from China most have lots of bad reviews. Omix-Ada?

My symptoms. 1989 MJ cranks and spins, but no fire. Confirmed the fuel pump is running by measuring voltage across the fuel ballast resistor at key-on, but not while cranking, and timing light shows I've got no spark. Unplug the CPS, measures 200-ohms, plug it back in and she fires right up. I haven't scoped it yet to see what it looks like. Wiring looks good, but I don't have a spare CPS if/when it dies again.

I found some genuine mopar CPS's on ebay and on summit racing and several other places.

Google "1989 jeep comanchee crankshaft position sensor oem"

They do seem to be drying up....

I've been buying my CPS from NAPA and they work just fine with Cruiser's hole mod to get them closer to the flywheel teeth. Likewise, I file notches in the two(2) CPS holes so that the next CPS change goes easier; i.e. just loosen the two(2) CPS bolts (don't remove bolts) and then slide out the old CPS and slide in the new CPS and tighten the bolts. IIRC, the American mfg. "Wells" makes the CPS.

Best regards,

CJR

I've been buying my CPS from NAPA and they work just fine with Cruiser's hole mod to get them closer to the flywheel teeth. Likewise, I file notches in the two(2) CPS holes so that the next CPS change goes easier; i.e. just loosen the two(2) CPS bolts (don't remove bolts) and then slide out the old CPS and slide in the new CPS and tighten the bolts. IIRC, the American mfg. "Wells" makes the CPS.

Best regards,

CJR

Good to know. So I went to their site and looked up for a '89 Comanche with a 4.0. Apparently 2.
With High Altitude Emissions SU3014

https://www.ebay.com/p/75285457?iid...Vv8FuvdRTA4ybBxrh7kEroH7z9WKmp8kaAldkEALw_wcB

Without High Altitude Emissions SU3228

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Engine-Cra...245597&hash=item3fba691293:g:arwAAOSwMZFbmyco

I suspect there are only a few actual Chinese manufacturers and everyone is just relabeling them. I'd prefer new-old-stock mopar if I can find one, but it looks like most of the webite claiming oem aren't actually selling oem. I plan to do the hole/slot mod, and maybe the high-altitude timing mod if I grab a cheap one that I don't mind breaking.

If you can't find a High Altitude CPS, a standard CPS can be simply modified, as per Cruiser's instructions, to be a High Altitude CPS.

Best regards,

CJR

Go to summit or napa for your crank sensor. No matter which, you will be replacing your crank sensor again and again because it's a Jeep thing :) You should always carry a spare. FYI crank sensor makes it look like you're getting no fuel, bad battery, no spark, no oil pressure etc etc etc... ALL of this shuts down temporarily (one day permanently) then miraculously it all works again for a few miles then down again until you replace the crank sensor. By disengaging it then engaging it and it starts, you're doing exactly the same thing it does when it shuts you down then sits for a few then starts again. And, crank sensors almost always go down alongside throttle sensor, save yourself the misery and just replace both then do it regularly.. after almost getting in a wreck because of it, I change them like I change my oil.

Back