• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

545/45 rfe Transmission issues

jbenhayon

NAXJA Forum User
I recently acquired a 02 Grand Cherokee Laredo w/ 4.7 V8 as a dead vehicle. Had to replace the crankshaft due to spun rod bearing and replace a missing cam and a couple sensors... Anyway, the engine runs like a champ now. SO... test drive: Feeling things out paying attention to sounds, going easy on throttle (Don't want to break my engine already ;-P ) everything seems to be ok. Get out on the highway, try some brisk acceleration. Engine revs nicely, sounds like it should, shift points are a little higher, but hits all gears to 60mph. Next test is WOT accel from 60 to 80-90. Floor the gas, trans drops to 2nd, engine won't rev past 4 grand and speed drops abruptly to 55. Let off gas a bit and shift to 3rd and will accelerate, slowly to 70,,, And grades over 2% can't hold speed at all.

Changed fluid and replaced both filters with Oreilly's brand. Fluid is not burnt.

Thanks,
Joe B

Was the issues after the fluid change or before? Those trannys like the Mopar fluid and can act up. Does it have any issue at WOT for lower speeds?

Fluid change was before test drive. And yes, even from a dead stop it won't shift under wot unless I lift the throttle a bit. Also scanned for codes and get P1694 No Comms with PCM. But that didn't give a CEL.

Might be best to head over to jeepforum and ask in the WJ forum. They have some people more active on the WJ side of things.

:p Fixed it! :doh: After some extensive head scratching, more research, and getting cheap, i disconnected the resonator from the head-pipe. A bit loud, but it runs like a raped ape now. Shifts through all the gears at WOT and pulls hills without complaint. Turns out the resonator was plugged but would flow enough to let it idle and rev with no load. Now just need to get a proper muffle and new pipe.

:p Fixed it! :doh: After some extensive head scratching, more research, and getting cheap, i disconnected the resonator from the head-pipe. A bit loud, but it runs like a raped ape now. Shifts through all the gears at WOT and pulls hills without complaint. Turns out the resonator was plugged but would flow enough to let it idle and rev with no load. Now just need to get a proper muffle and new pipe.

Nice! I went with a 3" a flow master 70 series with a resonator. I got mine from Kolak who's a vendor on jeepforum. Love the sound and flows nice.

Back