• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'00-'01 Camshaft Position Sensor Alignment

TerraWombat

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a unique situation - I put a '98 motor in an '01 XJ and swapped over all of the newer sensors/electronics to the older motor. Everything was pretty straightforward, EXCEPT for the camshaft position sensor. As some of you are aware, the 4.0L went to a distributor-less ignition system in '00, but they retained the use of the camshaft position sensor where the distributor used to be. It is my understanding that the sensor is only used for fuel injection synchronization and has nothing to do with timing.

So, my question is this: There are two ways you can install the camshaft position sensor. It's pretty obvious when it's in backwards because the truck won't start. However, even when it's in the right way and the truck starts, I CAN adjust it (even though my service manual says not to). So, how do you adjust it for best performance? Just rotate it until the engine sounds good?

No. It has to be in sequence with the cranks sensor to fire the fuel injectors at the proper time. You have to bring the engine to top dead center on compression. Then You can find a small alignment hole in the CPS. Use a toothpick to put in the hole for the purpose of aligning it up.

Here is a good article from Motorage on how its done. It's long but it will teach you a great deal.

http://motorage.search-autoparts.co...estandard//motorage/292005/169830/article.pdf

No. It has to be in sequence with the cranks sensor to fire the fuel injectors at the proper time. You have to bring the engine to top dead center on compression. Then You can find a small alignment hole in the CPS. Use a toothpick to put in the hole for the purpose of aligning it up.

Here is a good article from Motorage on how its done. It's long but it will teach you a great deal.

http://motorage.search-autoparts.co...estandard//motorage/292005/169830/article.pdf

Wow, that's exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Thanks a bunch!

Back