• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Opinions on Axles

Inisadow

NAXJA Forum User
I am planning on going to bigger axles after my first quarter at devry is over but got some questions. I know a guy I can buy Full size jeeps off of for $300 and was considering buying one that has dana44s f/r What years should I look for and which ones have the drivers side diff. I want to run 35s and lockrites f/r. Basicly me and my friend are trying to make my xj as good as his full size panda jeep. Calling mine son of panda truck.

JMHO but anything other than the 90? up Grand Wagonere is not goinng to work. Most of the full size rigs have passanger droop.....

You'd be better off if you can find a mid-70's Ford D44 with the high pinion. All the Jeep front 44's are low pinion, unless I am mistaken...not critical but if you are going to build an axle the Ford version is definitely a better choice as high pinion will provide both better strength and clearance.

Nay

Ghost said:
JMHO but anything other than the 90? up Grand Wagonere is not goinng to work. Most of the full size rigs have passanger droop.....
HUH? My 81 Waggy front 44 is driver's side drop. I believe 1980 and up are all driver's side drop, but beware of the vacuum operated units. It will be harder to find the centered rear 44 though the Waggy 20 is a decent axle.
Here is a link with some info:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/bible/index.html#JFA

As far as being low pinion, I haven't seen anyone with problems with this, just a lot of folks talking about it. If you can get the front and rear from a late 70's bronco, that might be a good deal, but for $300 for both waggy axles, you can't beat that (I paid $400 for mine).
You can see my swap from the link in my sig.

I'm not out to build axles I'm out to find cheap reliable axles that will run 35s. I'll keep searching and see what I can find though. Thanks for info

JnJ said:
As far as being low pinion, I haven't seen anyone with problems with this, just a lot of folks talking about it.

You've never seen somebody trash a driveshaft or yoke because it got hung up on the rocks? I know it is flat in Texas, but is it *that* flat? :kissyou:

Between the two options, gaining 3" of driveline clearance is a big deal for crawling (hence the proliferation of high pinion rear axles that compromise R&P strength). That doesn't make a low pinion 44 a "problem", just a compromise.

Nay

Nay said:
You've never seen somebody trash a driveshaft or yoke because it got hung up on the rocks? I know it is flat in Texas, but is it *that* flat? :kissyou:

Between the two options, gaining 3" of driveline clearance is a big deal for crawling (hence the proliferation of high pinion rear axles that compromise R&P strength). That doesn't make a low pinion 44 a "problem", just a compromise.

Nay

Ya, usually due to poor driver skill, not knowing the location of the front diff/yoke/shaft. You gotta bang over the diff before you bust the yoke/u-joint/shaft. ;)
I agree, if simularly priced, I'd take the high pinion, but normally the waggy axles (which he stated he could get) are cheaper and easier to come by then the ford axles. It also depends on how wide of an axle he wants, waggys are closer to stock width (good or bad).

I consider "building" and axle spending lots of time/money on it. I do things the cheap dangerous and semi effective way not the "right" way.

80 and up Waggys have a driver's drop diff, with some crazy disconnect thing thrown in 83-85ish, just look for some weird vacuum motor thing mounted on the diff, then avoid it. I know the 80 Waggy that I got my front 44 from also had a centered 44 rear. Yeah, yeah they're low pinion, but they are the right width, and if you cut and turn the knuckles (not all that hard) you can raise the pinion a good 2 inches or so

Another thing to consider is that I live in washington. I dont really mud bog but I'll happily drag my diff through the loose ground round here. Of course when it comes to rocks and stuff that can and will do damage I take a different approach, I know from experiance that rocks really like to mess steel up :)

By the way JnJ I really like red, that is a nice rig you're buildin. I've always been told the AMC20 was weak but never why, good info on it. Do the 35"s and it work pretty well? Your setup is very similar to what I'd like to shoot for.

Çrestfa||en said:
By the way JnJ I really like red, that is a nice rig you're buildin. I've always been told the AMC20 was weak but never why, good info on it. Do the 35"s and it work pretty well? Your setup is very similar to what I'd like to shoot for.

Thanks, unfortunately, after all that work I've found that Red's body and uniframe have started to bend in places it shouldn't. So, I'm striping everything off Red and putting it all on/in my 89 2wd MJ. I will be starting the tear down today.

Back