• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

driveline vibrations

bones5150

NAXJA Forum User
ok so im finally done installing my BB. sally is still undriveable. i had a 3" lift consisting of coils and AAL. i added 2" spacers up front, and 1" shackles and 1.5" blocks to the rear.my blocks are not pinion angled, so i know i need to do a t case drop, my question is should i shim the rear axle?

i tried takin this thing around the block and it vibrates so bad, even at slow speeds.

yella, you got any input?

also can any of you guys recommend a alignmen shop that is reasonably priced?

I test drove a xj that was sitting at about 5" with no t-case drop or shims or anything and it vibrated like crazy and they had been driving it like that for a few years...the pinion was sitting about horizontal and the shaft was in a mean bind from the angle.

before i did my SYE at 5" i had about an inch t-case drop and about 4 degree shim (i think) and only had vibes around 65 mph. i have a t-case drop for sale :)

Jeezus Bones....... You're building quite a patchwork lift there.

I'd NEVER advocate adding degree shims to a lift that used lift blocks. Too many loose fitting parts being squeezed together by u-bolts.

The axle wrap alone is gonna be pretty noticeable. And axle wrap isn't friendly to stock drive shafts and pinion yokes.

But, if you must....... NONE of those parts should be aluminum or pot-metal. Your blocks must be steel and the shims as well. I've seen far too many weaker parts totally grenade and cause huge problems on the trail. Also DO NOT use cheap u-bolts. Get the yellow anodized high grade ones available at 4WP and other off road shops. Cheap ones stretch or the bolts strip and keep coming loose.

You're basically sitting at 5 or so inches of lift. Not many (if any) rigs are out there still running a stock style drive shaft without vibes. Crimzon lifted his rig with a 4.5" kit and had NASTY vibes until he did the SYE and front driveshaft to rear driveshaft conversion.

I'm afraid there isn't much you're gonna be able to do about the vibes with your current set up other than drop the t-case as much as you can.

As far as alignments go, I've had good results simply going to the Midas up the street from me. Discount coupons can usually be found on their website.

Yup. Lemme tell ya about vibes. I was only at 4.5 inches then and it sucked. Luckly someone was selling an SYE at the time i had finished my lift. If i were you i would get full packs some shims and a t case drop.
My leafs came with a 6 degree shim so i had no problems there. I had also got a Rustys crossmember with an added 1 inch drop (that didn't seem to do diddly squat) with my lift. All i have else to say is. post some pics man... :D

cool thanx guys, how much for the t case drop? and i have a rustys adjustable trac bar getting installed as well. what degree shim should i use?

Last edited:
P.S. Your lift is a disaster............:fuse:

I imagine you are on stock control arms as well? Stock trac bar too?

Agreed, that combination of parts (blocks & shims) is a serious disaster waiting to happen.....:eyes:

Being that your in Aurora like me, I'd recommend Jim Paris Auto off of Hampden & Tower. So far the quality of their work has been great and the guy that runs it, Paul, is fair and honest. I just had them do an alignment for me a couple of weeks ago. :thumbup:

As to the degree shim, you need to pick up a cheap angle finder and measure the angles. Some quick searches on here for "driveline angles" or something along those lines will turn up lots of threads on how to do the measuring. The amount of shim really varies - I had to run 6 degree shims on my rig with a 2" budget boost. Others get away with none.

I've got an angle finder if you want to swing by sometime this weekend. I won't be around today, but I will be tomorrow.

As to the degree shim, you need to pick up a cheap angle finder and measure the angles. Some quick searches on here for "driveline angles" or something along those lines will turn up lots of threads on how to do the measuring. The amount of shim really varies - I had to run 6 degree shims on my rig with a 2" budget boost. Others get away with none.

I've got an angle finder if you want to swing by sometime this weekend. I won't be around today, but I will be tomorrow.

I pointed out that last time i was over there that you lived like right down the street from him. although i don't remeber where you live i know it was close to there.

Back