• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rustys Airtube Deal

Cherokeekid88

NAXJA Forum User
My buddy got the air intake and the throttle body spacer from rustys and put it on his GC and lookds good, sounds cool, and its reduced his driving temp down from 220 to around 175-180 and seems like a good investment. well i just want the airtube from rustys and the price is 29.95, now does that comes with the clamps and the bracket to hold it up? and is this a smart thing to do? i see alot of guys that do have them but are they ok to have for 4 wheelin?? thanks.

Cory

I've had one (a renix style) for approx 4 years and it seems to be ok for 4 wheeling...

No really obvious power gain, a little more intake noise... :dunno: Getting rid of the OEM water-sucking airbox & making room for a remote trans filter on the inner fenderwell are the only real benefits I see from it.

Some will argue that the K&N isn't the most efficient filter out there... but my 250k 4.0l doesn't seem to care. Had great oil pressure before, still has great oil pressure after 65k of K&N filtration... but I change the oil every 3k.

i've had the airtube from rusty's for about a year now. i like it and it freed up A LOT of room when i took out the stock box. it's one piece and uses an existing bolt that was part on the stock box location. can't really get any easier to install.

I have heard of some people seeing and feeling and difference and others nothing really. I am not a pro at this so I mean :dunno:

I would do it just because it is good policy to run an aftermarket intake.

This was the first mod I did to my cherokee about a week after I got it. Makes it sound a little deeper but I didn't notice much.

Untill.... I took it off and put my paper filter (and airbox) back on so I could clean the K&N. I could feel a difference when it was off. Not as much top end oomph.

My .02

I'd say it's a worthy upgrade.

but now what about with getting mud under the hood though? wouldnt it be bad if mud was sucked up into that thing? or is it not really an issue?? cuz i really wanna get one. 1-to increase gas mileage 2- to keep my engine cool 2-gain a little more power 4- i like the way its sounds. but i always hear that its not good to have one if you love the mud.

I don't go mudding a lot but when I have it's never been a problem. Some people make heat shields for their air tubes to block hot air from the header and/or mud and water. I never took the time to do it.

One thing I did is I left the bottom of the stock airbox underneath the cone. I keep a couple of paper towels for checking the oil and other odds and ends in the box. Never really had a problem with it getting wet.

Many people will argue that it is just sucking up hot air from underneath the hood so it probably won't help you jeep run cooler. I do notice it runs better in cold weather but not a huge difference when it's warm out. I've never had a problem with overheating (well, related to the cone filter anyway!).

Not sure if it will help your gas mileage either. It shouldn't hurt it though. I still get 20-21 with the airtube, borla header, custom 2.5 inch mandrel bent exhaust, free flow cat and a flowy.

Back