• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help! Stranded in Indianapolis

lobsterdmb

Just a Lobster Minion
NAXJA Member
Ok, so we got halfway between attica and indy when the jeep started having problems. It is driving at like 50 or 60 and the engine loses power for a half a second then kicks back in. Then it does it again and again. I figure the problem is either fuel or spark but I am currently screwed. So far I have replace the fuel pump/strainer (last time it went something similar to this happenned), fuel sender/float, the fuel filter, the wires (they looked a little corroded), the distributer cap, and the ignition coil. The rotor looked ok. I am running out of ideas. A jeep dealer looked at it and thought it was spark, hence the coil, cap, and wires. I am going to take it back to him in the morning. I am staying at the marriott courtyard by the airport. The Napa next door is open until 10. If anyone can help or has any ideas please please call my cell at 732-841-8026. I have limited internet access.

kinda like sputtering?

Only time I had something like this happen, it was the TPS

Gil BullyKatz said:
kinda like sputtering?

Only time I had something like this happen, it was the TPS
agreed...

you have a txt message

chance575 said:
check the crank shaft position sensor

My thoughts exactly. I had a wierd situation where the CPS wires got up against the header tube and melted the insulation away. When the wires would touch the tube, they'd ground out and the motor would die instantly - sometimes for a second, sometimes for good until the wire was no longer touching the header tube. It's a longshot - but it's worth looking at your CPS wires to make sure they aren't shorting out somewhere.
Good luck!

Zuki-Ron said:
Sorry to hear you're having problems!

The only thing I had to add or subtract is to ask the Jeep what it thinks the problem is.

Not at all sure if this link is applicable, but I'm posting it in the hopes that it does help.
http://www.jeeptime.org/fault_codes.htm

its not throwing any codes and to make things worse the jeep was broken into last night so now all my tools and my stereo is gone. Going to the dealer now because without tools, I am out of options. I am never coming back to indy! :mad:

I am sorry to hear about your luck, Johnny.
Milwaukee is about 5 hours from Indy, but if need be, I will do what I can to help.
I AM ASTOUNDED THAT ANY NEARBY MWC MEMBERS HAVE NOT PITCHED IN A HAND FOR SOMEONE WHO DROVE 12 HOURS+ TO WHEEL WITH US. :mad:
Come the hell on, men.
Bad enough to drive across the country to wheel a dump and lose brain cells with us, but now he can't leave, and if he does, has to drive home with no tunes.
WEAK SAUCE.

dirk pitt and i have called him to see if he needs anything. we have both also offered tools and a warm place to work on his jeep. as of now he is at a dealership on the nw side of indy getting his cps replaced. john said they were taking a test drive to see if the cps was the culprit. replacing the the tps is next if that didn't take care of it. he is going to call me back when he fiinds out more.

I'm about 2-1/2 hrs north of you and will be happy to do whatever is needed. Keep us appraised.
BTW, Scott's right. We have several members around Indy and this guy has to spend money to stay at the fawkin Marriot?!
Disgraceful.

Calling you all out now.

Aw shiznit! I feel your pain, brotha. If I wasn't at friggin' work, I'd be on my way. Keep us informed, hopefully someone local can lend a hand if needed.

Problem appears to be fixed. I just spoke to him and it was the CPS.
Apparently a few of our Indy people called him to offer assistance, tools, and a shop to work in so my calling them out was unfounded.
Apologies all around.

Glad its fixed. Have a safe journey home, Johnny.

well - aparently his jeep got broken into and all his tools stolen -

anyway - i hope everything gets home ok Lobster - and if Nebraska wasnt 600 fuckiung miles away - id be right there with you under your hood

fucken A

-Ranger

x2.
Glad all is well, but sour that he had to stay in a hotel and leave his rig in a strange parking lot to be violated.
I got wind of this late, as did a few people.
Still, we could have done much better as a group of Jeepers...
Hell, as a group of humans...
Out.

Fuel90 said:
dirk pitt and i have called him to see if he needs anything. we have both also offered tools and a warm place to work on his jeep. as of now he is at a dealership on the nw side of indy getting his cps replaced. john said they were taking a test drive to see if the cps was the culprit. replacing the the tps is next if that didn't take care of it. he is going to call me back when he fiinds out more.

I'm being mistaken for someone else, as I just now read this for the first time. However, had I saw it last night you would not have been staying in a hotel. Lobster, I apologize for your troubles and for my lack of response.

It seems sort of ironic though, that I probably would have seen this earlier had I not spent 6 hours last night under my own Jeep chasing the EXACT same symptom on my own XJ. I barely made it back to Indy Saturday night myself. I guess I'll check the CPS.

Lobster, again I apologize. I wish I would have seen earlier.

sorry adam, i thought he had mentioned that you had called him. i'm going to call him now to see if he needs anything.

Back