• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FRS radios for trail communication

macgyvr

NAXJA Member #120
NAXJA Member
There will be a few of you that this will be new. There will be many that this will not be new.

Many chapters, including the Midwest Chapter have been moving toward using an FRS radio instead of using CB radios.

NAXJA only suggests a CB radio in the list of trail equipment, so we don't require a radio at all, however, we would like to highly recommend an FRS radio at the Moab event.

These radios are hand held. No install issues that CBs bring. You can easily use them to spot in a technical area instead of yelling. The radio can be had for as cheap at $10 at Wal-Mart, or there are better more expensive ones at department stores and Amazon.

Another option is the Baofeng Black UV-5R V2. This radio can be programmed to the FRS channels and has a better range. These radios do technically require a HAM radio license, (a radio sold as an FRS radio does not require a license) so NAXJA cannot officially suggest that you use one without a HAM license. There are no plans to have someone on site to program the radios at the Moab event, however, there will be folks around that can help you get the frequency in the radio for the channel you'll need for your trail.

Here is the list of frequencies for the FRS channels.
1 462.5625
2 462.5875
3 462.6125
4 462.6375
5 462.6625
6 462.6875
8 467.5625
9 467.5875
10 467.6125
11 467.6375
12 467.6625
13 467.6875
14 467.7125
15 462.5500
16 462.5750
17 462.6000
18 462.6250
19 462.6500
20 462.6750
21 462.7000
22 462.7250

This thread here is a couple years old, but has some good information in it.
There are other options of the Baofeng radio as well.

If you have questions, ask away.

mac 'the better CB' gyvr

Yes, they have sub channels, for simplicity sake, we would just use the main channel with no sub channel.

mac 'breaker breaker 1-9' gyvr

Note: It is not legal to broadcast on FRS frequencies using the Baofeng radios. Their output power exceeds the FCC regulated output power for FRS frequencies. You can listen, but you should not broadcast.

Please go and get your Ham license....Its notthat hard......The radio equipment on the HAM radio side and so much better than cb......you will all love itand use it more that CB going forward...

Please go and get your Ham license....Its notthat hard......The radio equipment on the HAM radio side and so much better than cb......you will all love itand use it more that CB going forward...
I looked into it awhile back, seems like to much restrictions on what you can and can not say..

I mean how can I talk shit with people having fun and someone else hears it and reports me.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I looked into it awhile back, seems like to much restrictions on what you can and can not say..

I mean how can I talk shit with people having fun and someone else hears it and reports me.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

What do you think you can say on FRS or CB that you can't say on a ham band? It is the same FCC regulating all the airwaves.

You should spend some time listening in on the ham bands. I don't think you will find them as restrictive as you think they are.

yes

I have one of those and it works good

mac 'we'll get it to work' gyvr

My guess is these can utilize repeater towers. But I don't know what I'm talking about.

That's fine I want the yellow one

As I haven't installed my CB yet I bought a Motorola Talk About or whatever and a CB style hand mic for it.

Those various model Baofengs and similar Chinese radios can be programmed to receive and transmit on any frequency within their range- listen in on various UHF and VHF commercial users like lumber yards, ski areas etc, catch the weather service. broadcast at your own risk. They are legal to use on amateur radio (HAM) Frequencies, including through repeaters, only if you have an amateur radio license. They can easily be programmed to but are not technically legal to use on the FRS and GMRS frequencies because they have removable antennas and exceed the power limits and probably splatter interference over adjacent channels . Honestly, the "range" claims are absurd- UHF and VHF are line of site only and with these small antennas a mile is optimistic. If you don't want to mess around with cryptic instructions and programming and aren't getting a ham license, a regular FRS radio will do the same tricks with less chance of getting stuck in some weird mode regarding tone squelch or something. You can get a pair for $30. The "sub-channels" or privacy codes are just a sub-audible tone squelch. They don't give you any privacy, they just prevent you from hearing others on the same frequency if they aren't using the same tone. The Chinese radios can be programmed to transmit and squelch with these tones too, but it is a bit of a pain to do manually.

My call sign is W7ATB. Any other licensed Hams coming? I'll have 50W ham radio with a rooftop 1/4 wave antenna monitoring 146.52 and the local uhf/vhf repeaters, and doing APRS so should be able to reach the outside world from most places in the event of an emergency.
I will also carry a dedicated pair of cheap/legal FRS radios for talking to spotters and immediate trail convoys.

Last edited:
I twinhauler ....john will be coming from california. Have had my ham license since 2014.. call sign
KK6ONF. Have FT 7900 50 watts in the jeep plus a 5 w handheld

Back