• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dakota bastard pack

lsc910

NAXJA Forum User
Well I just bought a set of 96 2wd dakota leaf springs and I'm wondering what or how to arrange the leaf pack. Does any one have any pics of there bastard packs that would help me out. Thanks in advance.

Normal bastard pack build. Read the $11 bastard pack thread (posts by the original poster) and you will know what to do. Cut the bushings ends off the main, clean them all up, paint them, put in liners if you want them to work really well and the experiment. It will take a couple of passes to get the perfect height and the desired stiffness. Thats the fun and the beauty of a bastard pack build. You can dial it in by adjusting the number and end stagger of the leaves. Best results are usually obtained if the end stagger gets shorter as you go to shorter leaves. I like to run the cut down main leaf full length just to help prevent sag on the ends of the XJ main. Dont forget the lift shackle.

John

Any updates on this? I was thinking of using a Dakota main leaf for my next leaf pack. How far back did it push the shackle?

Your XJ leaf on top... then the dakota one then yours and so on and so on depending on how much lift you want... I dont know if it has that thick load spring it but id leave it out if it does unless youre gonna be towing alot.

I torched the eyes off the dakota main leaf and bolted it to the cherokee main leaf. I used all of the dakota pack including the overload bottom spring, Its pretty close to my 6.5 in front. I pull a trailer, but I think it flexs pretty good. This is with 8.8 rearend

the Dakota leaf is 24x32 and an XJ is 23x28 5/8 so using a Dakota main will move the axle back 1" and push the shackle back 4 3/8"

like nosigma said you just got to experiment a little. We took the Dakota springs and put them on the xj main leaf and got about a 41/2 lift out of them . cut off the ends of the Dakota pack I think it was around 1-7/8th" both ends and played around with them until it looked ok .
here is a pic of the jeep after words
DSC00199.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I cut my dakota main leaf as long as I could in the front. It ended up stopping at roughly the XJ front eye bolt. I cut the rear to stop at the rear eye bolt. I used the entire 5 Dakota leaves with the XJ top leaf. The ride height with a 1 1/2" shackle sat dead level with a Rustys 405 4 1/2" front spring. So the pack gave 3.5" or 4".

Last edited:
I cut my dakota main leaf as long as I could in the front. It ended up stopping at roughly the XJ front eye bolt. I cut the rear to stop at the rear eye bolt. I used the entire 5 Dakota leaves with the XJ top leaf. The ride height with a 1 1/2" shackle sat dead level with a Rustys 405 4 1/2" front spring. So the pack gave 3.5" or 4".
How dose it ride with that pack? Ive got a rc aal and now im sagging a little in the rear. Just want to get it even.

Back