• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Synthetic oil?

techno1154

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Referring to Royal Purple, Amsoil etc. How often you come across someone who have used it in the power steering? I will be replacing the steering gear this weekend with one that have been rebuilt, drilled and tapped for ram assist by Red Neck Ram.

My online searches indicated as many "No, it is not necessary" to "It is OK but a waste of money". There are also a number (in the minority) of people that are using synthetic in their XJ. So far, I usually fill it with what is on the store shelf when I walk in.

What is really strange is, the CD based manual for the 1996 year model do not list power steering fluid. It does however contains in-depth procedures of how to remove, repair, test and adjust every part of the steering system.

I've run Amsoil for over 50yrs in every application, but not as power steering fluid. Total different requirements, in my PSC system I use straight "Mineral oil".

I'd use a brand name power steering fluid, Shell etc. I've had some issues with odd named brands foaming (noisy). I've topped off with liquid Moly brand synthetic. I was pleasantly surprised how a small amount of synthetic mixed in with the the normal stuff really quieted things down. I went from occasional cavitation noise (groans) to near zero cavitation noise.

I will add that PSC recommends only the use of Mineral oil.

I will add that PSC recommends only the use of Mineral oil.

Mineral oil is a total different animal. My days of working with heavy equipment, mineral oil was required in some areas including brakes brakes. It remains a lot more stable at high temperature wen compared to petroleum products.

However, in my case, I do not think it is necessary. The steering gear and pump are both OEM. I am only adding a ram which replaces the steering stabilizer.

Isn't mineral oil a synthetic product?

Not even, but you need to know that it's more like a hydraulic fluid than a "lubricant".

I'd use a brand name power steering fluid, Shell etc. I've had some issues with odd named brands foaming (noisy). I've topped off with liquid Moly brand synthetic. I was pleasantly surprised how a small amount of synthetic mixed in with the the normal stuff really quieted things down. I went from occasional cavitation noise (groans) to near zero cavitation noise.

I too have had the same experience using the discount store fluids of various name brands only to remove the return hose and drain it then refill with another brand. This time I want to do it once then move on to other things. I think now is a good time to replace all the fluid since I will be replacing the steering gear.

Not even, but you need to know that it's more like a hydraulic fluid than a "lubricant".

I am not sure I understand why one is a hydraulic fluid and not a lubricant,...or did I read this wrong? Hydraulic heavy equipment uses the same fluid to lubricate the pumps, valve body and rams. An external fluid cooler is added to keep high temperatures at bay.

So this mineral oil (formally consumed by old ladies to aid bowel movement a.k.a. caster oil) is what you use in the XJ OEM steering?

I use royal purple synthetic in my power steering pump on my XJ.

I replaced the leaking factory pump
with a rebuilt pump and filled it with Lucas power steering fluid. On the highway after a few miles it would start making lots of noise. If I stopped for a few minutes and then got back on the highway it would be quiet for a while and then start making loud noises again. I think the fluid was foaming.

I put on a power steering cooler and replaced the fluid with royal purple synthetic - no more noises.

In the past I’ve used red line synthetic and had good luck with it but it’s hard to find - the auto parts stores here carry royal purple and it does the job ok.

Thanks to all who have replied. I always enjoy the opinion and experience of others.

I am leaning towards Amsoil. I have using Amsoil in the engine, AW4 and the T-case for more than 200,000 miles. The odometer now reads 333,480 miles.

Back