• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crankshaft End-Play?

Nixt

NAXJA Forum User
OK, this is a continuation of a LONG troubleshooting saga. It started here:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=68307
Then it was OK for a while.
Then it started w/ the same BS again but worse which led me to here:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=91084
Thought that did it. BUT...

Got 3 miles from home and lurchy-lurchy. Throws code 1391, which is cam sensor/crank sensor badness. So tail between legs, off to the mechanic I went.

He replaced the CKS/CPS (Crankshaft Position Sensor) after his his fancy scanner/diagnostic who-ha told him the cam and crank sensors were out of sync and then his scope showed constant dropouts on it's signal .

The new aftermarket sensor is in (ouch, 135.00 + labor). Runs signifigantly better, but it is still showing dropouts on his scope. He wants it back on Monday to throw in a Chrysler replacement to see if that has any effect.

He said that it may wind up being Crankshaft End-Play allowing the sensor to be out of range at different times as the flywheel rotates and shifts front-rear due to the play.

Please give opinions on this as a possible cause, and what fixes/tests there are.

to check w/o a tear down set up a dial indicater on the end of the crank. using a pry bar,please make sure eng is not running, pry the crank twowards the rear. zero the dial then pry forward check the spec. If out of spec then drop o/p and r&r main berrings. the set that controles the crank walk is the one with flanges. Buy a manual and use plastiguage

langer1-
could the flex plate be cracked due to a botched clutch job? I had it in recently and they had to un/reinstall three times and swap flywheels to get it all correct.

reliablestv-
Hmm. Don't own a dail indicator. Nor would I know much about how to attach it if I did... Novice and all. Mechanic will have to do that on Mon.

BUMP!

starting a new thread, to get
the whole story now in one place:
Misfires, a ghost story.

PLEASE help...

Back