• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Nikon D50 - Have one?

JoesXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone have Nikon D50 Digital SLR? Just curious because I was looking at one and it seemed pretty nice, just looking for an unbiased opinion from someone that owns one.

Thanks!
- Joe

well it depends on what you want to do with it i have a d50 and i do alot of shots with lots of details and im not really impressed i LOVE my sony Alpha a100 and its a little less $$ too. It really depends on what kind of shooting your doing.

Justpunchit said:
well it depends on what you want to do with it i have a d50 and i do alot of shots with lots of details and im not really impressed i LOVE my sony Alpha a100 and its a little less $$ too. It really depends on what kind of shooting your doing.

As with any digital SLR, you've GOT to shoot throught GOOD QUALITY glass. You can't drop the coin on the camera, and neglect your lens selection. There is also some key post-capture image enhancement that needs to be done to get a real quality image. If you don't have Photoshop or a legitimate image editing program, stick with film. That's just my opinion based on my experience over the last 10 or so years shooting professionally. Your mileage may vary. ;)

Here's a great site for UNbiased info on all kinds of digital stuff.
http://dpreview.com

I shoot with a Nikon D1, have had it for 3 or 4 years, I love the camera, Nikon is one of the best you can get. I have not used a D50 but I have talked to a few that use them, only wish it had more of the features that the D1 (now the D2h/x) has.

Very cool if you already have nice lenses from traditional Film, or if you want to get into film the lenses work for both. It is part of my job, so I have had work pay for my camera, I don't know if I could drop that much on a D2.

Just a few shots I took in JV working with depth of feld Bryan C. is about 25 feet up hill from this 5 foot hole, almost all of it was in focus:
JV06_0092.jpg

Then Jes hard at work stacking a rock, just out of focus, trying to lead the eye to the clear lens still not broken on the front of his rig:
JV06_0105.jpg

Last edited:
PS - Canon digital OWNS Nikon in low light situations. I own 2 D1X's, and I've shot the D2X, and Canon's Mark II. The Canon digital SLR's have much better quality at higher ISO. In the form of less noise, and better color rendering. So, if that's your thing... there ya go. At "normal" ISO's (I shoot from 200-6400 mostly) Nikon's color and quality is excellent.

Nikons are great, but as mentioned, Canons are generally superior at high ISOs (low light). I have a Canon 400D, but if low light wasn't a big priority I would have got the D50. Don't buy into the mega-pixel war either, the 6.1 of the D50 is plenty unless you're making high quality posters.

I shoot with Canon, and will never use anything else.

but

Like was said above, its all about the glass (lenses) you use!! You can have the best camera on earth, and if you buy cheap lenses, you wont get good pictures. You can buy a 40 year old film camera with amazing glass, and get awsome pictures!!

What ever you buy, go to a camera shop and check out the cameras you are thinking about. The Canons and Nikons (and all the others) have a diffrent feel to them, you want to find something that feels good in your hands if your going to be using the camera a lot!

http://www.dpreview.com/ is the best place to get info on anything camera related!

Back