• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WTB 98 XJ 4.0 In Good Shape

IBlameTheDog

NAXJA Forum User
I am in need of a good condition or rebuilt XJ 4.0 for a 98. If anyone has one or knows someone who does I need to buy one within the next couple of weeks or sooner if my rod decides to show itself.:cry:

Are you sure its a rod knock. My bro in law thought the same thing and it ended up to be the flex plate was broke.

Not really sure but it sounds like a diesel and is louder from underneath. Oil pressure is fine. Is there anyway to tell if it is a rod or a flex plate without pulling the trans or the oilpan?

Good article on figuring out if it is indeed rod knock.

http://remanufactured-engines.com/page4.htm

I bought a 30k mi. engine off of craigslist for $900. High mileage ones can be had for $300-$600. Relatively easy to swap the motor. Took me (alone) about 15 hours replacing any funky stuff as I went.

Thanks for the info Mdub and Billy I will pick up the stethiscope and check it out. From reading the article it really does sound like a flywheel because it was saying that a rod knock will be louder over 2500 rpm and mine goes away when it is around there.

Slowjeep, I mis-stated my subject. I am looking for the motor only not the entire Jeep....Sorry

I have a filter cutter at work. If you want I can cut it open to see whats inside. If the knock is internal then the inside of your filter will be glittery with all the metal it picked up from filtering your oil. It makes diagnosing engine failures so much easier. You can also take an oil sample in to have it tested and its amazing what those tests can tell you.

Billy I just changed the oil and I have the old filter still. How could I hook up with you to have you cut it open for me? I assume you work at BMI from the link on your sig.

Ya thats where I work. Where do you live? I am available most evenings. I can even listen to it and let you know what my thoughts are.

Our shop is off of power between warner and the san tan 202. I can prob get to it thursday. My grandpa passed away and his funeral is on wed so I won't be doin much before that. give me a call on thursday. 4806947982. I am usually at the shop until 3 or 4 or i can stop by your house on my way home.

Back