• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

delayed start

AD-8

NAXJA Forum User
When i go to crnk up my xj in any weather, it always takes a few seconds to start. It always starts, but i was wondering if this delay could lead to a problem

Long cranking is a fairly common problem in the Renix XJ´s. Various reasons that sometmes add up and cause really long starts.
The CPS reguires quite a few RPM´s, think the number I heard was 350 RPM, before it works right. The stronger the battery the faster the cranking, the quicker the start (not to mention a possible old/slow starter).
The ground wire from the battery to the block, is a known choke point, also slows down the starter a bit.
The fuel rail stays under pressure, though over the years it does leak down faster. Lower fuel rail pressure, means the necessary fuel gets through the injectors a little slower.
Leaving the key in the run position (for a five count or so), to give the fuel rail a few seconds to pressure up helps.
Mine have never gotten really bad, but on cold mornings, when the battery is a little tired, it can take a quick 7 count, before it fires.
A good tune up has also helped mine in the past, to fire a little quicker. But most of it seems to be the cranking speed and the fuel rail pressure.

Back