• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gear pattern check

grunion

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Anyone mind taking a look at this for me? First timer trying to make it work. First pattern from my first install.

20200420-125655.jpg

20200420-125629.jpg

What axle is it and what,s the backlash?

.005 - .006 depends on where on ring gear

That's not good, who's gears are they? Have you checked for run-out?
The backlash should be about .008" on a 8.25.

Also I would apply more rotational resistance plus I always check the entire circumference of the gear.

Revolution brand gears.
Haven't checked for run-out, was within the .003 tolerance from FSM so I thought it was ok. Wrapped a rag around pinon and ran again, whole gear. Seems about the same to me.

Make sure you have the proper carrier bearing pre-load when checking.

I believe I followed that part correctly. Snug on each adjuster till .003 - .004. Torque cap bolts down. Right adjuster to 75, seat bearings by rotating, repeat that till 75 lbs consistent on right adjuster. Torqued right adjuster more till got backlash. Then torqued left adjuster to 75, which was pretty much there to begin with after all the right adjuster tightening.
I was able to get to .008 after returning to the right adjuster. Pattern didn't change much, I'm just not sure if it's acceptable.

Decided to try the front end this time. Not near as uhmm, fun. Mind critiquing this one as well? Dana 30 HP. 4.56. Backlash at .008. Thanks
20200424-150620.jpg

20200424-150501.jpg

Take the backlash to .006" and make sure the bearing pre-load is correct. Maybe a little deep on the pinion but hard to read with your markings.

Forget about the 75 ft-lbs in the FSM. Tighten them until they stop moving as you increase torque. May not happen until 125-150 or so. That's fine. The pinion depths slightly too deep. Removing a few thous may make a better pattern.

Back