• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aftermarket Dana 30 cover...

ShoeterMcgav

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I got the axle pulled and am doing everything else to the damn thing so might as well go for this easy upgrade... my question is- is there a good, strong, cover that doesn’t sacrifice extra clearance for the tie rod? I’m running dubJ knuckles and had to clearance my coil spring perches and sway bar end links to get it to clear OTK, which is fine with the stock cover... but just by a hair. Literally a hair at full lock, probably even touches ever so slightly.

Artec makes some awesome looking covers, and the price reflects that. Its flat in front which could be good, but I’m worried that it won’t clear- annnnd don’t fully want to spend that much. Magnetic drain and fill plugs are neat, drain plug in general is pretty cool! But if I’m honest, changing the diff fluid is a once in a great while ordeal, especially with amzoil $$$. Says 12.5 #s, has a little name plate about where the tie rod would meet, if it sticks out to far it’d be more work then others to shave

https://www.artecindustries.com/Diff_Cover_D30

A cheaper option that, like Artec offers, recessed bolt holes is the one I’ve been eyeing for a while, the Riddler. Price is fair, design looks solid, and since it isn’t as pretty or $$$ I wouldn’t feel as bad taking a grinder to clearance the tie rod if I had to. Also says it’s only 9 #s-

https://www.ironrockoffroad.com/product/riddler-dana-30-front-differential-cover.html

Cheaper even still is the SOLID cover. This guy is the cheapest, could get the cover and splurge on a LubLocker gasket for the price of the Riddler (seeing how this and the riddler come with RTV I doubt I would tho). Looks like slightly recessed bolt holes. Some fancy textured paint job, that’d be a pita to match if I had to take the grinder to it. 13#s

https://www.ironrockoffroad.com/product/solid-axle-industries-hd-differential-cover-dana-30.html

Ballistic fab makes one, but is definitely into the tie rod per the build specs by nearly an inch...

Something (fugly) like this would probably work... price is higher then I’d like for the design tho-

https://tandjperformance.com/product/part-bp-dt030/

This has to be a common upgrade/ problem ya?

What’s the cure? Short of bending my tie rod (no bender) what do y’all run?

Last edited:
I like the riddler or poison spyder style covers. They’re much more low profile that Ruffstuff and they do better at keeping the bolts protected.

Sorry that was a typo... I meant to list some others Ive looked at that are of similar design with ballistic fab, which is basically the same exact thing as ruffstuff. Arb didnt make the list but I read they are great for clearence.. To be fair Ive left hundreds off the list, and it wasnt intended to be a list so much as some examples. I want real world experience and yall have shared that, so thank you!

Ruffstuff out to a commanding 2 vote lead!
*scratch that 2-1 lead over riddler/ poisonspider :D

I dislike the exposed bolts despite being 1/2" base... Having to pay more for bolts is something the others Ive listed doesnt do.. But all in all it is def a beefy well made lid guys, tha ks for adding it

do you DD your rig?

If not I would go with 1. solid$$(personally running this with zj steering) but had I know differently when I bought it, Ide probably look for a better DD cover, 2.riddler$$$(ungodly strong), 3. ruffstuff $$$(rockbouncer strong ha)

artec is the same as the yukon cover.

However if you DD your rig, and If the barnett cover has the stock cover with just the added rock guard, this will be the best performing for the axle.

banks did a cool video series on diff covers and how the design impacts the ring gear/fluid movement. If DD matters ide look for the cover with the smoothest interior, closest to stock. maybe like this: https://metalcloak.com/metalcloak-m-dana-30-differential-cover.html if its clean inside, or currie, terra, arb, nitro...
otherwise its just how much do you want to pay.

Terraflex is another option- that ive run. On my ZJ the HP30 i bought to swap out the lp axle had one installed already. Didint hate it... Solid enough to take a good beating. Although, despite being kind of recessed, I managed to get into the lower bolts pretty good on some rocks- hence a feature im looking for. The bolts didnt break or anything and was able to replace with a wrench... But ya dont like em exposed. The drain plug was cool, albeit used maybe 3 times in the 10+ years I had it

Aye good stuff!

Any idea the difference in depth of the aolid case vs stock? Why choose it over the others?

Its not a DD... But more of a weekend warrior type of rig- not a trailer queen

solid for price and fins make for some bolt protection as you mentioned. riddler probably a little better for bolt protection.

solid about 3.25" vs stock 2.75" from mount surface to exterior cover

Half inch aint bad... From a tj forum they claimed riddler was only a 1/4" - thatd be hard to beat IF true.... You know how THOSE guys are! LMMFAO

Be careful with aftermarket covers. the shape of the cover has an effect on how the oil flows around the differential. poor designs can result in oil starvation on the bearings. I saw a pretty cool video on this where clear covers were made, demonstrating the effect on oil distribution caused by cover shape. I added a guard to my stock cover, looks like a football helmet face guard.

Be careful with aftermarket covers. the shape of the cover has an effect on how the oil flows around the differential. poor designs can result in oil starvation on the bearings. I saw a pretty cool video on this where clear covers were made, demonstrating the effect on oil distribution caused by cover shape. I added a guard to my stock cover, looks like a football helmet face guard.

That video was based on rear axles so it has no relevance in a front axle situation.

Shoeter, if the price doesn't discourage you the ARB is a great cover.

That video was based on rear axles so it has no relevance in a front axle situation.

I think there is relevance front or rear axle, maybe not identical results, but none the less cover shape is likely important on either end, unless it is shown otherwise.

true, but that doesnt change how a ring gear carries oil to the pinion, front/rear diff is a diff.
arb does have a structure designed to support the housing.

The difference is the ring gear rotation, in a rear axle the oil has to travel all the way around bottom to top of the ring gear before it gets to the pinion. In a front axle the oil has to go from the bottom of the ring and directly to the pinion.

I have seen some of these vids... cool stuff really

I agree with RCP in that there are more factors at play with the front diff vs the rear...

I too though of HP vs LP being a variable in the test, but also-
Probably most notable is that it’s a rear wheel drive vehicle.. so the front doesn’t see the same conditions- definitely lower speeds and less abuse. Another thing to note is the fill plug on most of these are higher then stock allowing for more gear oil- so a variable that’d be different then just the shape of the cover. Also when the front is engaged and under load in 4x4, it’s most definitely getting sloshed around in off camber situations, throwing the oil inside around differently then a flat road would..

Still good info that I’d not have thought of... if the Jeep saw high speed 4x4 I might be more concerned.

With that said, my local 4x4 shop ONLY had the riddler, ironically, in stock. No shipping no waiting, checked most the boxes- save drain plug.. and 120$ out the door with new bolts and rtv is hard to complain about.

I don’t think it will impact the differential life.. inside shape is similar to stock... by the time it hurts anything I’m sure something else will be broke and I will be on to bigger and badder$$$ things!

Thanks all for the input!
#JeepOn

Last edited:
If you could compare all the different manufacturers covers(for the same diff) you would be amazed at the different fill plug heights. I usually add my own to correct for that(usually 1/8" NPT).

X1000 on the Lube-Lockers. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Back