• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steps

Jeepmedic46

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Looking for sliders with steps. My Jeep has a 4.5” lift and I have some back issues so I need a little step to get in the Jeep. Jrc off-road doesn’t have any. Was wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

Can't help with the steps but i fabricated a sturdy A-pillar grab handle which was a quantum leap in a new founded pleasure getting into and out of my lifted xj with a sometimes bad back.
No more grabbing the steering wheel which has loosened it all the previous years of grabbing it.

Can't help with the steps but i fabricated a sturdy A-pillar grab handle which was a quantum leap in a new founded pleasure getting into and out of my lifted xj with a sometimes bad back.
No more grabbing the steering wheel which has loosened it all the previous years of grabbing it.

Thank you, I never thought about the steering wheel loosening up but makes sense. I’ll check out fabricating a grab handle. Do you have any pictures of yours?

Steering wheel will loosen, the steering column mounts will loosen, and you can also destroy the bearing in the column that way..........

Thank you, I never thought about the steering wheel loosening up but makes sense. I’ll check out fabricating a grab handle. Do you have any pictures of yours?

I'd like to show you a pic but unfortunately i don't have any pics on any photo download sites. In fact i have a full write up on how.

My previous photo downloader site was Photobucket and i told them to go to hell with their ransom money requirement.
Too bad this website won't allow pic uploads from a pc.
If there's a way to do that, anyone, let me know.

I used a stock passenger grab handle from the bone yard and fabricated a backing plate secured to the A-pillar metal to secure it in place.
I can hang my entire weight on it.

I'd like to show you a pic but unfortunately i don't have any pics on any photo download sites. In fact i have a full write up on how.

Have you posted the write up anywhere? I’d like to read it. As a guy of average height but with freakishly short legs, I always pull myself into my lifted rig by the steering wheel, without realizing it could do any damage.

I probably put too much pressure on the column as well. I'm adding 2x6 rockers and will likely build a kick out to use as a step

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Have you posted the write up anywhere? I’d like to read it. As a guy of average height but with freakishly short legs, I always pull myself into my lifted rig by the steering wheel, without realizing it could do any damage.

Below is the link from a another forum i left years ago, probably got banned don't know as i never looked back. haha!

As i mentioned in the write, up A-pillar geometry apparently changed over the years.
The other forum member's grab handle install mentioned in his link was an easier install with his older Jeep's different geometry A-piller
My grab handle install will probably work for '97 and later. Maybe even earlier xj's don't know.

It was involved including careful measurements and my machine tools.
Looking back the worst part was every dam trim clip broke off. My trusty glue gun came to the rescue.

Anyhow here's the link:

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/finally-installed-my-grab-handle-237484/

Thanks for the link .

Doing some Googling, I quickly found that Thor Offroad makes a-pillar grab handles for XJs. They look pretty good but are awfully pricey for such a simple bit of steel and rubber. Still, I may just suck it up and go that route.

I have the Or-Fab sliders/steps. Got them from 4wheelonline. This rock rails is pretty solid and it doesn't affect ground clearance.

What do you mean JCR does t have any? Like they are back order?

If i were going to buy some Id buy from them... My ZJ sliderz were top notch

As for the grab handle, sans role cage (easier), Im more then half tempted to get some decent sized self tappers and send home a paracord with metal mounting tabs and call it good. The factory mounts look GREAT, but the bolts seem smallish...? And all the work to get caps to fit trim, i think i could do with out lol way to OCD for that isht

Back