• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aftermarket Dana 30 cover...

y’all convinced me... lubelocker it is

Before there were a lot of beefy diff cover options, I built several of these using the stock D30 cover and 5/8" steel rod.
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w52/XJEEPER1/XJ Build III/100_0954.jpg

I've run Ruffstuff diff covers on both end for the past 12 yrs. Drain holes leaked in both, so I welded them up and run Lubelocker gaskets, for simple fluid swaps.

i drill and tap a drain hole on the differential pumpkin. And use a magnetic drain plug. Has not leaked. Done this on two vehicles

The difference is the ring gear rotation, in a rear axle the oil has to travel all the way around bottom to top of the ring gear before it gets to the pinion. In a front axle the oil has to go from the bottom of the ring and directly to the pinion.
Agreed,
Im no expert, but ide ment no matter the axle, if you put some kind of damn in the cover, a DD fast moving ring gear will not lubricate the same. It doesn't matter which axle. The front is quicker to cycle fluid to the pinion than the rear, but its the same principle inside the pumkin, reducing cavitation and drag, fluid dynamics blah blah blah good videos. All stock covers look alike accordingly. For a trail rig or similar I doubt anyone would notice any difference.

X1000 on the Lube-Lockers. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

x3 on the lube locker, im on 3rd or 4th use without a single issue, so worth 20$

youll dig riddler covers I bet, I really wanted those more when I was shopping. Theres a cool video of a giant excavator running one over which seems dang legit.

I just installed a Ruff Stuff front D30 cover. I have 1-ton Cross over steering. Ruff Stuff makes a cover that has brackets to attach the steering stabilizer too. I do have two of their scratch and dent D30 covers. I did not have issues with clearance the cover to the steering linkages.

Damn I'm to late. Was going to compare my ruff stuff cover to my axle with the stock cover.

Wheres the pics!!?

do you DD your rig?

If not I would go with 1. solid$$(personally running this with zj steering) but had I know differently when I bought it, Ide probably look for a better DD cover, .

Somwhat is it that you learned?

I have solid covers for front and rear, bought them because the price was right — with lube lockers

I have not installed them— was waiting till I built the axles

Yes, daily driver — curious as to why I shouldn't use them

Pretty happy with the purchase after measurements... dunno if there is better out there, but for the price, included bolts (rtv will be added to the stash due to lubelocker), and this prifile- its exactly what I need. Drain plugs are cool, but the diff is so small draining it is literally the easiest part of the whole front axle fiasco Ive done so a luxury Im not sad about lacking.

Millions of jeeps have been running afternarket diff covers for eons, cool research but im not concerned in the slightest. Rear is a 9" so all she has is a pinion guard and a truss gtg

picture.php

If I have to grind any it should literally just be the riddler logo and none of the structure

Pretty happy with the purchase after measurements... dunno if there is better out there, but for the price, included bolts (rtv will be added to the stash due to lubelocker), and this prifile- its exactly what I need. Drain plugs are cool, but the diff is so small draining it is literally the easiest part of the whole front axle fiasco Ive done so a luxury Im not sad about lacking.

Millions of jeeps have been running afternarket diff covers for eons, cool research but im not concerned in the slightest. Rear is a 9" so all she has is a pinion guard and a truss gtg

picture.php

I am most interested in seeing your truss on the rear end. I have a Ford 9 inch rear also, and am curious how yours is set up. Mine has no drain, so I change fluid via the fill hole and a pump. I did add a magnetic fill plug and it does catch fine metal bits. i highly recommend magnets in our diffs as a wear reducer.

Anyway If you will please post some photographs of the rear and the mods on it, I will be thankful!

Pretty standard backbone... ruff stuff is my personal preference.

Barnes makes a good U bolt eliminator kit which will make any backbone easier to install.

I plan on adding another “truss” when I 4 link the rear, and do like a wishbone over the diff to triangulate the uppers. That’s a ways off tho

I have solid covers for front and rear, bought them because the price was right — with lube lockers

I never said I wouldn't use them, I run them myself, but that videos series the other guy posted goes over a lot of good info. I'm just suggesting there's better performing covers that allow the ring gear to distribute oil. If that video was never made I doubt anyone would ever say they didn't like solid covers. Strong, built well, and priced well. The solid logo has a cavity in it which will disrupt the flow of oiling( if you really want to be picky) there's plenty of covers that are worse. Though, the ring gears path is a pretty smooth arc on that portion of the solid cover.

By all means happily run them, they're fine. Is there better, sure. Oh well haha

You don't see many inside cover pictures either....

I beat the crap out of my solid diff cover for my 30 and 8.8 before i sold them. Definitely get a lubelocker gasket. Other than replacing the bolts every now and again due to the heads getting ground down, they always did their job. You can find them for 65$. About the cheapest out there. They have a notch in their design above the logo. That will help you clear the OTK tierod.

Back