• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1992 Cherokee Laredo I6 4x4 Auto Transmission problem

Heated

NAXJA Forum User
Hello, this is my first post to this forum but I've been an avid reader for a few months now. I recently took an offramp with my xj that has ~215k miles at about 40mph and a clacking sound started from below with no prior trans issues, I ended up losing all drive to the wheels including the ability to stop the car in park. I initially thought the problem lied in the transfer case chain, and I ended up taking the tcase off just yesterday and its operating as it should other than a little bit of play back and forth in 4wd. When I put the shifter from any gear to park while its running it almost sounds as if a really fast ratchet is being spun and coming to a halt, I'm not sure where to start or if the transmission has totally gone out. The fluid is not only full, but clean as well and I have never noticed any issues that would cause alarm. Absolutely any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you for your time!

Hello, this is my first post to this forum but I've been an avid reader for a few months now. I recently took an offramp with my xj that has ~215k miles at about 40mph and a clacking sound started from below with no prior trans issues, I ended up losing all drive to the wheels including the ability to stop the car in park. I initially thought the problem lied in the transfer case chain, and I ended up taking the tcase off just yesterday and its operating as it should other than a little bit of play back and forth in 4wd. When I put the shifter from any gear to park while its running it almost sounds as if a really fast ratchet is being spun and coming to a halt, I'm not sure where to start or if the transmission has totally gone out. The fluid is not only full, but clean as well and I have never noticed any issues that would cause alarm. Absolutely any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you for your time!

Busted xfer case chain would only kill the ability to drive the front axle. Sounds like the xfer case is in neutral to me, but I assume you checked that.

Busted xfer case chain would only kill the ability to drive the front axle. Sounds like the xfer case is in neutral to me, but I assume you checked that.

The transfer case is currently out and it still does the ratchet sound when put into park, I don't believe the transfer case was the issue. The selector was pretty on point and didn't have any play.

Back