• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Any AV nerds in SoCal?

Nimrod

Degenerate Jeeper
NAXJA Member
This is not Jeep-related, but I figured I'd throw it out there and see if anyone can offer some guidance.

My GF bought me a nice HD TV that has a digital optical jack as its sole audio output. I'd never even heard of a digital optical connection, much less owned a device that has one, but I googled it and found I could buy a converter for not much money to convert the digital signal to analog and hook the TV up to my old external speakers. So that's what I did and it works just fine except that I can't adjust the TV volume anymore with the TV remote or the universal remote that came with my cable box. I can't even use the mute button on either remote. And, no, the speaker system does not have its own remote.

Other than nixing the external speakers altogether or buying a new sound bar with a digital optical input, does anyone know if there's a solution that'll let me control the speaker volume via the TV or universal remote?

Short answer, Unlikely, but it depends on the TV manufacturer and it sounds like your's won't support external volume control (and most won't). Your best bet is to get a soundbar so you can remotely change the volume and get better audio particularly around dialog compared to tv speakers. They can be had for less than $200 now, but I don't know the quality of those units. Still be much better than TV speakers but no where near the performance of a purpose built sound system.

Disjointed explanation as to why: (ignore if you don't care)
That type of port has been around since the 90's and has typically made itself the exclusive audio out if used. Folks who use external speakers tend to not want to use the tv speakers too. The biggest reason for this change is that the external output is digital and the internal speaker setup is going to be analog. While you can change the external signal to adjust volume before it gets to the amp for the speakers, it's really a bad idea and you should let your quality amp control the volume.

Depending on tv there may be a setting for adjusting audio output level.

Back