• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine Dying

rock rash

NAXJA Forum User
The past two days, occasionally when I slow down and step on the clutch the revs will decrease until the engine dies. Any ideas of what might be causing this. I know details are a little vague as of now, but i will try to get more information for you. Thanks.

I think more details would be helpful. Does this happen in neutral idling or just clutch disengaged (pedal down) in gear. The would mean it isin't disengaging. Have you done anything to determine if there is a fuel system, spark problem, blocked exhaust, stuck egr valve, or other common driveability problem there are just alot of variables that you could eliminate. What engine, year...

bajacalal said:
I think more details would be helpful. Does this happen in neutral idling or just clutch disengaged (pedal down) in gear. The would mean it isin't disengaging. Have you done anything to determine if there is a fuel system, spark problem, blocked exhaust, stuck egr valve, or other common driveability problem there are just alot of variables that you could eliminate. What engine, year...
It does not happen when in neutral..or it hasend yet. Only when I press on the clutch. I have not eliminated any possibilities because I had no idea what it could be. It is the I6 4.0L High output

What I am getting at is that the clutch hydraulics have could have gotten air bubbles in there and this prevents the clutch from bieng fully disengaged, the engine stalls. This is possible if you ran it out of fluid or if its leaking. Normally though, if it is not disengaging, you will have trouble putting it into first and it will not enter reverse without grinding as its not synchronized w/ the other gears. You would also notice "creeping" forward or driveline cluncking when placed from N to first with the clutch pedal down. If this is the case, the hydraulics need bled or replaced.

bajacalal said:
What I am getting at is that the clutch hydraulics have could have gotten air bubbles in there and this prevents the clutch from bieng fully disengaged, the engine stalls. This is possible if you ran it out of fluid or if its leaking. Normally though, if it is not disengaging, you will have trouble putting it into first and it will not enter reverse without grinding as its not synchronized w/ the other gears. You would also notice "creeping" forward or driveline cluncking when placed from N to first with the clutch pedal down. If this is the case, the hydraulics need bled or replaced.
Reverse does grind sometimes when i put it in.

Back