• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broken dana 30 u-joint ?

afd516

NAXJA Forum User
So I got up at 6am and got ready for a day of wheelin. We wheeled from about 7am to 12pm. We decided it was time to leave about 11am. So we started to head out and we could either turn around and travel 20-30 more min or go up this pretty narly trail and hit the road in about 10 min. Take a guess which option I chose. So, I clear the last rock ledge at the top after my buddies were moving rocks and guiding me yadda yadda yadda when POP what the hell was that!? I got out and looked and did not see any thing so we climed back in to hit the road and this time even a louder pop.

Broken passenger side front dana 30 non disco u-joint. I got my tools out pulled the shaft and put it pack together. We hit the road.

This was the first time that I have broke a u-joint. When pulling the broken axle what it be a good idea to pull the opposite side also? Would it make a difference? I was just thinking about the fluid that may or may not come out of the seal that is no longer plugged w/an axle shaft and its effect on a ring and pinion if the opposite axle is left in place sloshing the gear fluid out the seal.

It always happens when you are fixin to leave.

Do you, or do you not, have an axleshaft in place?? At first it sounded like you do, but later on it sounds like you're worried about losing gear oil because of the missing axleshaft...you NEED that axleshaft in place in the unit bearing to keep it all intact.

OK you have lost me as I have you.

What is the unit bearing? Is that also refered to as the hub bearing? If so the stub shaft is in the hub/unit bearing and the inner axle is not in the axle housing hence the seal is empty that the shaft would normally keep fluid in. Should I be worried about the other wheel, turning the other axle, turning the ring and pinion, therefore sloshing fluid out the opposite open seal. Would I lose enough fluid to make a difference to the ring and pinion which would not be under power since it will be in 2wd? Should the opposite shaft be pulled to keep from turning the ring and pinion?

I wouldn't worry about the fluid so much but yes you need to have the stub shaft in the unit bearing and torqued down before driving it. It sounds as if you did that so as long as you aren't taking a terribly long drive you should be ok.

Thanks, I did not know that the bearing was called a unit bearing. I always refered to it as a hub bearing. Is hub also a correct term for unit bearing?

When I pulled it apart I almost put it back together without the stub shaft. I got to looking at how the hub and unit bearing are assembled and from the looks of it I saw that the stub shaft needed to be in there otherwise the bearing would be the only thing holding the wheel on. Glad I looked because it is a 30-45 min travel on back roads to mi casa. I may not have made it without the stub shaft and axle nut in place.

Back