• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Suspension stiff, good replacement shocks for 3" lift

Biggie Z

NAXJA Forum User
I recently bought a new XJ (wanted a 5-speed) and it came with a Zone 3" lift kit installed. The suspension is VERY stiff and the ride quality is pretty rough on the freeway and country roads. Can anyone recommend good shocks for a 3" lift. I don't use it for super hardcore offroading, just 4x4 trails, but I use it as a commuter mostly so ride quality is important. Thanks for any suggestions.

Bilstein 5100

DoetschTech DT3000 or BDS. IMO Bilstein are firmer than most.

DoetschTech DT3000 or BDS. IMO Bilstein are firmer than most.
Interesting. Had the DT3Ks on mine for a few years. Been a good shock, just assumed Bilsteins were better.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I have DT3000 in my Blue XJ. I bought a used set of DT's for the initial 3 inch lift and a new set of DT's when I lifted higher. The current DTs' are getting old and very rusty and will be replaced with more DT's. My 3 inch lift green DD has Bilstein 5100. They are firmer than the DT's or BDS.

OME is a great shock for DD and light trail duties.

i would investigate the coil spring rate before splurging on new shocks. if those zone coils are in the 240 lb/in range a shocks wont get you any softer.

after running both ends of the spectrum, ive always reccomended 200ish for DD duties.

i would investigate the coil spring rate before splurging on new shocks. if those zone coils are in the 240 lb/in range a shocks wont get you any softer.

after running both ends of the spectrum, ive always reccomended 200ish for DD duties.

Good info right there and an often over looked part of "ride quality".

I'm using 5100's with 200k springs and a 3" puck lift. I think they a little firm. I heard rancho 7000's are the same kinda monotube valving but less initial nitrogen pressure than bilsteins, Id like to try them.

Thanks for the info everyone, VAhasnoWAVES, is there any way of telling the coil spring rate by measuring the diameter of the coils with a caliper? I can't find any info on the lift kit on the zone website, I think it's an older model.

no, best bet would be to contact the manufacturer unless youve got access to a spring gauge. you could try doing some redneck engineering and see how much weight it take to compress the coil 1". that should give you your rate for a single rate coil. put a bathroom scale on top of a coil in a press? lol. (disclaimer, if you do this you didnt get the idea from me. lol)

ive ran a few coils ranging from 130 progressives to 245/285 dual rate. 200 is always what i recommend, and other say its still a touch stiff. which... its all relative. what one person is willing to tolerate may be unacceptable to someone else. with a sway bar, 180 sounds about where youd want to be.

Back