• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coolant Sensor problem

Brandon77

Member# 3846
NAXJA Member
So i need to get my temp. gauge working in my jeep on the dash before this weekend. I replaced the motor and opened the cooling system but now i have no temperature coming to the dash gauge. Im not worried about the acc. fan because i put it on a manual switch in the cab.
My question is the sensor below the exhaust manifold the temp. sending unit to the gauge or is it the one on the top, back driver side engine by the valve cover the one.
Can someone school me on this.

The sensor/sending unit on the top of the head, rear. The circuit grounds through the sending unit to the head. Make sure you have the head to firewall ground connected or you'll likely have more issues than just the temperature gauge.
An open circuit, bad or disconnected wire will peg the gauge one direction, grounding the wire straight to the head, should peg the gauge the other direction (with the key in the run position).
Using anything to to seal the threads on the sending unit may mess with the ground/continuity. You can test the sending unit ground by testing resistance between the sending unit housing and the head. Always a good idea to check resistance between the head and the firewall while your there and ohm test between the head and the negative battery terminal.

Awesome thanks you guys

Back