• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rolled Jeep

JTBOSCO

NAXJA Member #426
I have a 98 Cherokee that I rolled...so it is pretty tore up. My thought is to buy and older Cherokee with a straight body...and swap my motor and transmissions and lift onto the straight body. Plus add 44's. Is this fairly doable or am I looking at a huge pain in the ass trying to fit different year parts...ie the engine and tranny???? I need to decide what course of action to take soon. Thanks in advance for y9ur input.

JTBOSCO said:
I have a 98 Cherokee that I rolled...so it is pretty tore up. My thought is to buy and older Cherokee with a straight body...and swap my motor and transmissions and lift onto the straight body. Plus add 44's. Is this fairly doable or am I looking at a huge pain in the ass trying to fit different year parts...ie the engine and tranny???? I need to decide what course of action to take soon. Thanks in advance for y9ur input.

Check with Dan. He has a 89' listed here that he wants to sell or trade for a xj 44 or 29 spline 8.25 I think you guys can work something out.

Troy

Big Red said:
Check with Dan. He has a 89' listed here that he wants to sell or trade for a xj 44 or 29 spline 8.25 I think you guys can work something out.

Troy

It would be a very bad idea to trade a 98 for an 89.

If I had to build another rig from scratch it would be a 97+. they are SOOOOO much more user friendly when it comes to wiring and engine management.

Stick to your 98, cut it and cage it if you don't need to drive it daily. Jes and I can give you ideas on the 12th when we come down.

CRASH

sell me the seats, that's what you should do.

if you buy an older cherokee to swap the drive train, you might run in to some problems with the obd II system, it is different than the earlier models...

doing a d44 in the front is a huge undertaking and it will be very expensive....do a little searching, I know bigred is in the process, you might want to talk to him. David

I would vote to build a buggy out of your 98. I am tempted to make my 97 pretty again and sell it and build a buggy from scratch. Glass and sheet metal are not my friends.

SeanP

Back