• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fan clutch re-hash......

RCP Phx

NAXJA Forum User
on my 2000 I decided to try the ZJ fan clutch and it fits. Napa #272310, it looks big and I'll let you know of the outcome.
P1080757_zpsbj2okvgl.jpg

I tried that clutch fan on my 2k hoping it would help the hot weather over heating for example when idling in the McDees long drive thru line but it didn't in my case.
Went through the entire cooling system after that including new water pump, radiator, thermostat, flush, fan shroud, Mopar TSB injector/fuel rail heat insulator, etc.
Nothing helped with the hot weather idling or heat soak.

The only thing that cured that over heating was to jury rig a 5 min. timer delay to turn on the efan.
It also cured the notorious 10 minute park and then heat soak rough idle issue.

I'd be interested to know if that fan clutch helped on your Jeep.

I got the grande clutch in my 1990 xj. Fit is tight, but it fits! That tight fit is all the more reason to have good motor mounts, if mount flexes too much, fan hits radiator. If your mounts are old and soft, best to renew them, specially if wheeling. Wheeling can shift the motor around a bit if mounts are squishy.

I have used that one in the past. It blows a lot of air for sure but sucked too much power from the motor. If I recall you are running a bit of a hopped up engine so the hit to power may not be an issue. It was enough that I ditched it on mine. I am currently running a MOPAR fan clutch and it has been working just fine for me.

We'll see, mine is the original so it 20yrs old and the ZJ one has been the go-to unit on here for years. If it doesn't work out I'll swap it out for a new stock one.

I ran the zj clutch on my '98 for awile mainly because it was what the "cool kids" were doing.
I soon realized it wasn't needed on my pile and the clearance between it (or lack there of) and my radiator made me think about everytime I was going nose down.
Went back to stock and all is well YMMV

I definitely need "cool" as we keep having 120*s here lately and it's getting hotter here all the time!

The real test will be this summer as I would love to have colder ac temps. With all my coolers it just puts out cool air and takes forever to cool the whole interior down.
P1080566_zpsmeltwwwj.jpg

I definitely need "cool" as we keep having 120*s here lately and it's getting hotter here all the time!

Have you ever added manual control of your E fan? Made a huge difference on my 96 — couldn’t sit at a drive thru without having heat soak issues in the summer

The manual override is easy to do, just need to wire in another relay and add a switch — could get fancy and use a timer or temp switch too

The real test will be this summer as I would love to have colder ac temps. With all my coolers it just puts out cool air and takes forever to cool the whole interior down.
P1080566_zpsmeltwwwj.jpg

Nice tranny cooler, but make sure the steel braided hose cannot rub on the AC nor motor radiators, nor anything else you dont want damaged. . Vibration can cause Steel braided hose to act like a hack saw that can cut body work, coolers, even dig into motor blocks.

I replaced my stock unit with another stock (Hayden) clutch with good results.
The fluid shears in these clutches over time and makes them slip more, degrading
cooling. When a new clutch is installed, cooling improves, regardless of whether it's
a stock unit or a Grand unit. That's why the Grands appear to be an upgrade.

My take is that a "new" stock clutch would also perform well. At least that's been
my experience...

In over 200,000 miles of XJ ownership, I have tried and replaced several fan clutches, including a ZJ clutch. There is a big difference between the stock and ZJ.
The Napa ZJ clutch was always slightly engaged and could be heard, even when it was cold. It did a great job of puling air through the coolers but, over a 75 mile daily commute, I lost a little over one MPG due to the constant engagement .
On winter mornings in the mountains, it would never come up to its normal operating temp, the fan was engaging slightly in below freeing temps.
This clutch may have been more aggressive than others but I have heard similar from other XJ owners over the years

IMO, it's the perfect clutch for a mostly trail machine, as long as you can provide the extra clearance needed between the clutch and radiator.
I modded the radiator mounts to push the radiator forward a half inch, it was too close for comfort.
If it wasn't such a pain to change clutches, I would put it in for summertime wheeling, removing it in the fall.

The stock fan clutches's seems vary in when and how much they engage, some howl when the engine is hot, others barely make a noise.
Many fail at low mileages, I carry a spare, in the motorhome, after having two go bad, while on vacations.
Fan clutches have caused me more more grief on trips than any other part, not just in the XJ but in my Ford and Chevy trucks. More than once I have had to drilled a hole through a fan clutch and bolt it together so the fan would spin, after a clutch died and stoped engaging.

Nice tranny cooler, but make sure the steel braided hose cannot rub on the AC nor motor radiators, nor anything else you dont want damaged. . Vibration can cause Steel braided hose to act like a hack saw that can cut body work, coolers, even dig into motor blocks.

That would definitely apply to my Jeep, I run braided hoses on everything. The transmission and cooler, the power steering and cooler, and all my fuel lines, and now my pre-oiler pump.

Engine would run cold all the time, hovering around 160-180.

Don't know how that would even be possible unless your running the wrong t-stat or not at all. I will never go to all electrics.

It's up and running, maybe I got a different manufacturer but it doesn't seem extreme at all(it was from Napa), only time will tell.

Don't know if you guy's with complaints bought the HD version, but I'm very satisfied with the results. Only time will tell/but.......

Don't know if you guy's with complaints bought the HD version, but I'm very satisfied with the results. Only time will tell/but.......

I should hope so, in 120* weather your like living bacon.
I think the only complaint Ive ever read on the bigger clutch is a potential for it to rob some power out of the engine. I doubt a 4.7 feels that though.

does it seem like its providing better cooling because its a stronger clutch or because its newer?

Back