• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ZJ exterior door handles

SuperRoo

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys,

Quick question - are the ZJ grand, exterior door handles the same as the +97 XJ?

They seem to look the same in photos, but I cannot find any cross reference:confused1

Cheers,
Steve

Find some and try and swap them. let us know your conclusion.

Find some and try and swap them. let us know your conclusion.
I would if I had yards full of jeeps down the road like you guys across the pond have :)
I'm in London, so my requests for parts is mail order. The yards over here tell me the same thing "to buy & try!" I've seen untold number of photos of the two (xj +97 & zj) & to me they look the same.

I've installed the rear handles from a '99 xj on my '88 & only had to swap the piece on the back to get them to work. So I'm after a set for the front & the ZJ ones are cheaper for some reason. Just thought it may be a matter of swapping the rear over & all would be OK.

I just thought someone on here may have already tried it :dunno:

Maybe a set of the Jeep 2500 handles?
Not sure tho. Maybe find someone here in the states to send you some, maybe a pair of both just in case the ZJ ones do not work. They might be longer than the Xj ones.

They are the same. 8 1/4 inches long by 1 1/2 inches deep.

I have a 96 ZJ and an 01 XJ in the garage and I just went out and took some measurements and pictures.

ZJ
ZJhandle_zpsb6e848d9.jpg

XJ
XJhandle_zpsd5660fc5.jpg

Not to throw a wrench into your workings, but the XJ handles are same front to rear whereas the ZJ handles are different front to rear. What's different? Not sure exactly. I've only looked on team grand cherokee and team cherokee's website. It must have something to do with the internal lever position or something..

Not to throw a wrench into your workings, but the XJ handles are same front to rear whereas the ZJ handles are different front to rear. What's different? Not sure exactly. I've only looked on team grand cherokee and team cherokee's website. It must have something to do with the internal lever position or something..

I can't speak to the internals, true. Visually, they are the same. I would suspect that if you ordered the handles, you could use the "guts" inside your current XJ to get them to work properly.

Re: ZJ exterior door handles WORK on an XJ!

Well the :sunshine::sunshine::sunshine:and very bright!

They arrived yesterday & I fitted them today - ZJ handles do work on an XJ!

I swapped the rear piece over from my old set of handles onto the ZJ ones (like i did for the 2x rear XJ '99 handles i had already installed) and they worked.

They look exactly the same as the rear Xj ones. I couldn't tell any difference betwen the rears or the front to be honest. Maybe for the ZJ's there is a difference but for us XJ's no prob's

Thanks all for your help & suggestions - especially to cottontail for taking the time to shoot some photos for me
...the de-chroming continues...next the windscreen...

Back