• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1996 XJ Ehaust Manifold bolt question

BroknCJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Guys...quick question. The cat and muffler on my 96 xj were about to rust off the truck so ordered new front pipe/cat/rusty catback. Anyway start tearing into it. Cut off the old pipes/cat/muffler w/no issues.

Then get to the flange from the manifold to front down pipe. WTF? it was rusted all to hell for sure...hit it with PB Blaster for a couple days prior. Figure it's 14mm...just strips...13mm too small...

okay...drive the 13mm on with a BFH and get one nut off...other not happening..hmmmm...okay I'll just cut them off and replace. Cut them down to the flange, but now can't get the bolt heads out of the manifold flange.

Are the pressed in or screwed in? Thought about drilling them out, but will prob have to take the exhaust manifold off to drill them out straight...Any suggestions....being a real PITA for sure. Though it is the stock manifold with 198K on it.

Any help would be great cause I'm starting to feel like a :jester:

We just noticed the same thing yesterday when putting the exhaust mani back into my 2001. The nuts on one side of that flange are almost like they are rounded from the factory, but have a little piece of metal underneath that should catch on the pipe enough to hold them in place while you turn the bolt/nut on the other side. Can't remember what size is on the other side but I thinks is 14 or 15mm.

I just recently helped my friend swap a 94 HO engine into an 89 RENIX XJ. The two bolts on the flange are in fact pressed in(at least they were on his. We had to remove the exhaust manifold and use a center punch and a BFH to get them out. As for replacing them we went with a ss 3/8 by 1 3/4" bolt and used brass nuts so that whenever we have to separate the exhaust again it will be a breeze. I would definitely take it out of the jeep though or you might crack the manifold.

Cool...think I will try and use a big C clamp to press them out first before I take the whole manifold off.

Will let you know if it works.

even made a tool to fit around the flange to try and press the studs out...no joy....looks like I'm gonna have to take the manifold off to get it on the hydraulic press or to drill the studs out...

I just recently had to do this myself. When removing what was left of the exhuast, we snapped the nut. I ended up removing the power steering pump & intake mainfold so I could remove the header. My Cherokee is a 1992 w/ 119,000 miles, formerly from Coloroado/Wyoming, but, spent the past few years barely used in Cleveland, OH before I bought it. Using a hammer & punch, the bolts were easily tapped out.

Also, my header was in mint shape without any cracks whatsoever.

Got most of it apart yesterday, but still need to finish pulling the intake so I can get the exhaust manifold out. So far so good...didn't break any manifold bolts. When I get the exhaust manifold all the way out gonna look at it close to see if it has any cracks before I decide to order a new one. Looks pretty good superficially...not sure if the PO had replaced it or if it's the original. Now if I could just get some cooler (and less humid) weather down here in GA....

Manifold bolts have never given me trouble, only the studs at the front and rear.

As for the flange, on the two 91s I've worked on, the bolts were so rusty they just fell out. They're M8x1.5 but I just replaced em with 5/16 since it's about the same diameter and I was replacing both the nut and bolt, couldn't get staked nuts for M8x1.5 at Lowes at 8pm but they had em for 5/16 UNC.

The manifold to downpipe bolts are in fact pressed in, I usually replace those with 1/4 or 5/16 hardware too, trying to unscrew them is a waste of time so the dremel comes out and they leave in two pieces. I generally throw a single tack weld on each from the head to the manifold flange just to keep them from spinning while I'm tightening the nuts.

Okay got back to it today...got the manifolds all the way off....and two cracks (about 11/2-2") on two pipes on the exhaust manifold....

Thought for a minute about just welding them up...But think I will just order a new one and hopefully save myself additional headaches down the road...

Just hate waiting another week to get it back on the road.

It's becoming a epic saga ;)

Back