• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Kj CRD engine swap

WVXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone have any info on switching the xj engine with the common rail diesel in the new kj? Was thinking maybe one could then throw a grease tank somewhere and have a greasel xj! Would the kj engine fit? Would it take lots of modifications to make it work?

there's a link somewhere around here to a webpage that had a CRD KJ engine in a tj. Search for TJ and diesel maybe.

I'm not very well informed on the KJ CRD but what is that big black expensive to service looking cover that goes over the front of that engine ?

Haaaaaah, it does look that way doesn't! Thanks for the help guys, i did search but couldn't find anything. Anyone know of an xj with a greasel set up? Maybe just a pipe dream.............but somethin's got to give with the price of gas!

they did make soem Xj's in the early years with renault 2.1 diesels. I don't think there's that many of them left in good working order.

Also, if you notice in the diesel thread listed above, I mentioned the possibility of swaping in a Mitsubishi 2.3L diesel. These were found in some Ford Ranger pick-ups, Mitsubishi pick-ups, & Dodge D-50 pick-ups. Won't have as much power, but would be an easier swap, IMHO. Also, I know of a 2WD Ford Ranger with the greasel conversion and he's getting 38 mpg.

I was not that impressed with the CRD Liberty when I was doing the demos at camp jeep this past summer, the commander with the Hemi got better milage than the KJ's did, we had to fuel them 2x over the weekend, figured they were getting about 22-24 mpg..I expected more.. the hemi commander I drove got a solid 25-26mpg.

The diesel XJs we have in the UK had the VM Motori 2.5 turbo diesel. The KJ CRD has what is basically the same block but with a belt driven DOHC top end. The late model '99-2000 diesel XJ used the T3500 5 speed, which the earlier KJ CRD had, so this should all fit in easily. The hardest job will be getting all the KJ electronics to work with the XJ dash etc.

MGrobe said:
Might have been pre-production issues. I have heard of CRD owners getting 500+ miles from a tank while on the highway. Now that's some range!

that would fall right in line with the 23-24 mpg and a 20 gallon tank, assuming they weren't running it empty before filling up. I'm sure that KJ's, being a jeep, are subject to the wide variance that all jeeps seem to display in terms of mileage. probably has something to do with the wide variance in owners and driving habits that jeeps also seem to display.

Last edited:
The few that I have heard state that mileage have listed in the 28-31 mpg. Most typical of CRD owners I would say fall in the 22 - 26 mileage. I hear from a few friends with the new Hemi grands that mileage is weak, although I haven't completely pursued the subject as a diesel is where my interests exist.

My dream is an XJ with a modern benz or VM CRD, prefer a smoother benz mill though. Since that is highly unlikely, unless I can find a very competent shop to do the work, I will likely be buying a CRD Libby for mundane daily driving. But I have been dragging my feet waiting to see what else might be a diesel Jeep in the future. I hate spending big bucks on a Grand with all the electro gadgets to go bad. Want a no nonsense Jeep like my XJ I bought 8 years ago.

I've been looking into doing this swap as well. Here's what I know so far:

- CRD will require custom engine mounts (no surprise there) but the stock suspension should be able to handle the weight (fully-optioned CRD is equivalent to a fully-optioned 4.0).
- Best to replace the AW4 with the KJ's 545RFE.
- Fuel lines and tank from a Euro-spec XJ diesel with the later VM turbodiesel should work.
- It ain't gonna be cheap.

More info on that in this thread.

FWIW, trying to run on waste vegetable oil (WVO, or more commonly 'grease') presents a number of other issues: fuel cleanliness, lack of water, the need to keep it heated more or less year-'round, etc. I'm peripherally involved with a twin-tank (one bio/WVO, one regular diesel) conversion going on right now on a Mercedes 190. You'd be surprised at the temperatures WVO starts to congeal at.

I have always loved diesels as I have always had a friend/relative.neighbor with one. Plus one of my father's best friends is a heavy equipment mechanic. I was about the only kid in the mid 70's running around with a CAT Diesel power ball cap.

So that partially explains my obsession. I love the size of the XJ, how tight it turns around town and the storage area is about perfect for my business. Lack of electronic doodads that I don't like appeals to me as well among other reasons. I could have dumped more money and bought a Grand back in 97 but I had friends with Cherokees and they had great bang for the buck.

My ideal Jeep would be the XJ and a diesel. Now a Cummins 4bt is a little too noisy for my daily work/travel Jeep. It would have to be a little more invisible for me. This would be a Jeep that would gradually begin to use as my daily corporate drive, my family would use for errands, long distance travel to North Carolina, tow my XJ to the trails and perhaps tow a small travel trailer.

So whatever this is, it needs to be reliable and durable. I don't know if a transplant can yield those two things.

I have a WJ 2.7 CRD. The Mercedes Benz 5 cylinder diesel and 5 speed electronic auto tranny is sweeeet. It also does better diesel mileagethan my KJ CRD with manual tranny. The WK has a 3.0 V6 CRD with the same tranny and that is truly AWESOME.

There is someone here who put a MB diesel in a MJ, couple of months ago in fact. Came out pretty good too though he is still working on the steering issues.. Kyro in australia has one in an XJ, VeDubb has one http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=57574

Last edited:
ok i no this is old, but i was wondering if a 545RFE would bolt in to a np242 TC or if not a np231?

as much as i love the XJ seems like to much work, i would jsut get a cj8 or maybe a rollover unlimited tj. Swap in a cummins 4bt, but as mentioned they are not the quietest, i would sound insulate the hell out of the firewall on both sides (spray noise reducer on outside, mat on the inside) and sound insulate the hood etc. and call it a day.

Back