• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

xj overheated

frankv569

NAXJA Forum User
ive looked over some of the old posts and just havent found what i am looking for. i had my 96 xj/auto out last night in the mud and i believe i may have gotten it too hot. i was repeatedly running hill climbs and throwing mud without any issues. when i became stuck in the mud, my temp quickly rose into almost the red (240 degrees?). it was only about 50 degrees outside so i was surprised. i stopped the vehicle, turned the ac on to make sure the elec fan stayed on, and turned the heat to "max" to cool it down.eventually it cooled down-but, i am hearing a noise or squeal (seems internal to trans/or transfer case). the noise isnt loud or screeaching-but i can hear it. recently, i have replaced all hoses , thermostat, and flushed the coolant. i believe that i have "burped" all of the air properly. it runs about 200 degrees normally on the highway at all speeds. did i smoke the trans? also, ive just changed all fluids, filters, etc.

my 94 used to do that every time I went mudding. Is the area between your ac condenser and tranny free of debris, the only way to tell is to pull the crossmember above it out. there is also a plastic/rubber shroud between them. mine had collapsed and was blocking half of the radiator.

on my 97 I also switched to a dual control dual electric fan setup, on a thermostat for driving around town, and an always on switch for the mud. It stays much much cooler.

if its an auto tranny and you just changed the fluid I doubt you burned it up, check the color of the fluid for any signs of burning.

thanks for the advice! i will check for debris. where did you get all of the parts for the dual fans? i realize that the factory cooling system is puny-dual fans should help correct this im sure.

Back