• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HVAC control swap

Kego814

NAXJA Forum User
Not sure if I should post here but I was wondering about a controller swap for the xjs. Not a huge fan of it either blowing on my face or my feet. I know beggars can't be choosers but I feel jeepers can be.

depends. What year do you have, do you have mechanical/electrical controls, etc.
I have early mechanical controls and was able to swap them for later model mechanical controls, but it was a royal PITA, and I did it to accommodate a DD nav unit, not to get extra functionality. not sure about swapping out electric controls, but Im' sure it's possible.

There is a blend door for the routing of where the air blows. It is vacuum operated.

If the defrost is on then the compressor will be on

Correct I want face and feet vents.

Unplug the compressor?

I don't think there's a bolt in solution for what you're looking to do

Face and feet is a/c only.

At least 97+ are vacuum actuated using 4 vacuum actuators.
Blend door for hot/cold is mechanical until around 1999 or 2000 then it switched to electric.
Wiring a switch in the A/C compressor circuit seems like the easiest way.

Just merged the red and brown vacuum lines. From what I saw in HVAC hose diagrams, that was the only function of those hoses.
75c7d2ccfaaef1ec64883d904e5af9af.jpg

Saying you wheel a JK is like ordering Chinese takeout and calling yourself a chef.

Back