• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gas tank compatibility

jeepnuts311

NAXJA Forum User
hey all,

i smushed the gas tank in my 1990 a while back and although it wasnt leaking, i decided to replace it.

last week i bought a parts jeep for $500, sold the dana 30 for $200 and my brother bought the tranny/tcase and i kept the rest.

the donor is a 93, and the lines, the wires, and the vacuum hoses to the tank all look identical, can anybody tell me if there would be any issues with swapping the 93 tank into the 1990?

-Tim

Don't think there was any changes until the '96 model but I'm not the gas tank expert. Check with the dealer to see if the part numbers are the same. My FSM quits at 90 so does my parts list so your 93 is outside my knowledge domain.

The tank will fit, but you will want to use the sender assembly from your 90. I swapped a 93 tank into mine and the gauge read backwards, had to put the old sender in for it to work. 87 - 90 would be the only senders that work properly with your Renix electronics.

i swapped a 92 tank into my 95 and the gauge is backwards, it varies upon years

To the best of my meager store of knowledge, it shouldn't be a problem, although i like the idea of reusing the old sender unit just for safety's sake.

On another note, while you have the tank out, why not try this: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=917086?

Could be useful, especially since you have it out of the vehicle already :)

Back