• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gas tank skid for a 2000 XJ

xjtrailrider

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
This is a carry over from this thread;http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1094130

I need an affordable skid. I found two that are close to my budget, the Thomken and the Rustys. I think they both want too much for them. Rusty had his on sale at Christmas for $168 and I have contacted them to see if they will still honor that price. I own the Thomken and its a very durable skid for the money but after shipping I'm looking at $225.

I have a factory skid for the 87-96 XJ's but from what I have read it won't fit plus I'm holding on to it since it came off of and will go back on my 90 Laredo with the Up-Country package.

Any one have any idea's on a cheaper skid than the two mentioned or does anyone have one they want to get rid of cheap?

I need idea's

This is a carry over from this thread;http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1094130

I need an affordable skid. I found two that are close to my budget, the Thomken and the Rustys. I think they both want too much for them. Rusty had his on sale at Christmas for $168 and I have contacted them to see if they will still honor that price. I own the Thomken and its a very durable skid for the money but after shipping I'm looking at $225.

I have a factory skid for the 87-96 XJ's but from what I have read it won't fit plus I'm holding on to it since it came off of and will go back on my 90 Laredo with the Up-Country package.

Any one have any idea's on a cheaper skid than the two mentioned or does anyone have one they want to get rid of cheap?

I need idea's

Get an OEM skid. Under $50 at a junkyard and probably cheaper if you can find one on the forum. Someone in the SEC For Sale was selling one from a 1998 model that would fit your '00.

Get an OEM skid. Under $50 at a junkyard and probably cheaper if you can find one on the forum. Someone in the SEC For Sale was selling one from a 1998 model that would fit your '00.

Yep, I missed out on that one. I have scoured the local JY's and no one has one for the 97+ right now.

One of the local JY's just called me, they got a hit on one and are following it up. Hopefully I will end up with a cheap skid plate. I pre-paid $35, I can deal with that compared to 200+.

This vehicle will never get wheeled off road. She just wants the skid for rear end collision protection. She has been rear ended twice in the last 6 months.

ZJ gas tank skids fit with minor modifications. That's what I'm running. I trimmed a couple inches off the rear for the receiver and elongated a couple mounting holes. I got the skid on eBay for 1¢ plus like $26 shipping.

zjskid.jpg

ZJ gas tank skids fit with minor modifications. That's what I'm running. I trimmed a couple inches off the rear for the receiver and elongated a couple mounting holes. I got the skid on eBay for 1¢ plus like $26 shipping.

zjskid.jpg

This. I have a '96 ZJ skid on my '98. I didn't have to do any trimming, but I did have to elongate a couple of the mounting holes. Works perfectly.

It fit fine with my previous hitch. I think this hitch was designed before the plastic tanks. It fit still but tucked up much tighter to the bumper so I swapped it out.

Why won't the 87-96 skids fit the 97+ XJ's?

I honestly have not fitted mine up yet to see. It may be my only option since i can't find a 97+ skid and I can't see spending $200+ for a skid that will never get a scratch on it!

I honestly have not fitted mine up yet to see. It may be my only option since i can't find a 97+ skid and I can't see spending $200+ for a skid that will never get a scratch on it!

Fuel tanks are shaped differently. Try J & W Jeep in Antelope CA. I got a 97+ gas tank skid from them (OEM) for under $100 shipped th Tennessee.

I seem to recall that the 97+ is a deeper skid. To fab a pre 97 you would have to weld on some "extentions." Also I believe the 97+ is a more rounded tank, where the pre 97 is more angular. I tried to fit the pre 97 on my 01 and it simply wasn't going to happen.

I seem to recall that the 97+ is a deeper skid. To fab a pre 97 you would have to weld on some "extentions." Also I believe the 97+ is a more rounded tank, where the pre 97 is more angular. I tried to fit the pre 97 on my 01 and it simply wasn't going to happen.

So it wouldn't mount to the frame rails?(comes up short?) I can remedy that. Will it fit front to rear?

The plastic tanks on the 97+ don't fit inside of the older skid. As best I could tell, on the one I test fit, I would have had to cut almost all of the rear curve out of the bottom of the skid to clear the tank. That not only would have killed the strength of the skid, it would have left exposed a significant portion of the tank I was trying to protect.

The plastic tanks on the 97+ don't fit inside of the older skid. As best I could tell, on the one I test fit, I would have had to cut almost all of the rear curve out of the bottom of the skid to clear the tank. That not only would have killed the strength of the skid, it would have left exposed a significant portion of the tank I was trying to protect.

Yep. I tried my skid for my 90 that I haven't installed yet and its not going to work as is. I could make spacers where it mounts at the rails but that will make the skid hang significantly lower to the ground.

I have a Rusty's gas tank skid never been mounted very heavy duty. If someone is still needs one. I am just south of Charlotte NC.

I have a Rusty's gas tank skid never been mounted very heavy duty. If someone is still needs one. I am just south of Charlotte NC.

Thanks for the offer but thats a 5 hour haul from here and my Hemi Commander loves gas when I haul ***!

If you were a couple of hours closer I would be there tomorrow.

I'm heading out today to scour two really large JY's. They both say that they probably have a skid plate but they don't have time or people to check for one. I got permission to walk both yards. I will report my findings!

Back