• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

91Xj only RR brake works(abs equip)

GSX

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all,
I tried to use the search function, but it apears to be down. I did list the a-z and read about the 702 recall and such.

Anyway. I just bought a 91 XJ (4th XJ) and after getting it running (pick-up coil..melted MAP sensor line..wrong plugs...) I am now onto the brake problems it has. I have a ABS light on. Can feel the pump motor working as the pedal goes to the floor. Only functioning brake is the RR. No obvios fluid leaks. I unplugged the ABS fuses and tried again, but again the only working brake is the RR. I would have to assume the ABS actuator is bad and has some passages stuck.
Does anybody have any onsight on on either fixing this or just bypassing the ABS system all together. I do have a 87 XJ that I can rob parts from, but it is a completly differant system (non ABS).

Thanks in advance
Craig Miller

again sorry for what I am sure is going to be a repost, I did try to search.

So I am impatient,
I retruned to see if there were any replies, but there were none so I went and moved one of ny cars off the lift and put the XJ on it. Found both rear brakes on a single circuit (DUH, don't know what I was thinking) And figure the ABS accumulator id probably not holding pressure. After all the horror stories I have read about this system I started pulling the system out. I started the install of the 87 brake components. To my surprise they all fit perfect. I did not even have to change the pedal assy. All I need now is to run to work and grab my flaring tool to get the lines to fit into the 87 proportioning valve. Everything is looking good.
I expect that I might have a problem with the change in rear brake size, but I think I might swap axles/brakes if needed. I have not looked for sure, but the front brakes (from memory) look exactly the same.

Not a bad fix for less then 4 hours of work. Will post update tomarow when I get it finished.

On your rear brakes, I would change the wheel cylinders.
On my 97 both were gummed up and would not apply the brakes. I freed one up and replaced the other. I should have done both at the same time, because I ended replacing the other also.

Looks like you got a handle on the ABS change over (wise move)...take it all out. What size are your rear brakes now? They only had a 9 or a 10 inch (the 10 is better).

Back