• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Possible ignition wiring problem

Audiophile

NAXJA Forum User
Searched, but couldn't find anything. Ok, well, long story short: I replaced my 4L motor in my 88XJ a couple of months ago, and I'm finally getting to finding why it won't start. I also replaced a bad 5sp, and changed out for a AW4 (using BrettM's AW4 shifting harness). I have fuel in the fuel rail, the engine cranks, but no spark.

I first realized that I didn't have a ground strap, so I installed one, checked...still no spark. I checked the ignition coil on my multimeter acorrding to the FSM, and it is still good. Checked the resistance to the wire from the ignition coil, and that seems to be fine. It was at that point I found a single red wire that wasn't connected to the coil, so I plugged it into the coil. Aha...the ignition buzzer came on under the dash (hadn't heard that in a while) then faded out. I thought this was it, and tried to turn it over and checked the spark, nothing...:mad: It was late so I shut down for the night.

Woke up the next morning and went into my garage, and I could hear my ignition buzzer :dunno:. I checked and I had removed the keys from the ignition, so it wasn't even on...double :dunno: I then unplugged the red wire from the ignition coil and it turned off. I thought maybe something needed to be reset, so I unplugged the battery while I had breakfast. I came back about 1/2 hour later. I connected my battery and plugged the red wire into the ignition coil. The ignition buzzer come on and go back off like normal so I went on with my troubleshooting. I then started checking for connections that I could have forgot. I noticed that I missed one under the dash (since I had removed my clutch pedal, I thought maybe I had missed reinstalling wire or plug that might have been in the way) and after about 10 minutes, I notice that the ignition buzzer came back on, and stayed on, so I disconnected the battery.

Anybody have any insight as to why the ignition buzzer comes and stays on, or to why I'm not getting any spark?

Audiophile said:
I then started checking for connections that I could have forgot. I noticed that I missed one under the dash (since I had removed my clutch pedal, I thought maybe I had missed reinstalling wire or plug that might have been in the way) and after about 10 minutes, I notice that the ignition buzzer came back on, and stayed on, so I disconnected the battery.

Did your jeep have a clutch interlock (or whatever it's called) cause it sounds like it did. If so, what did you do with the wire that was on the clutch pedal? It should go to the ground or to the NSS.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that would keep the motor from cranking (mine cranks over) wouldn't it? I don't believe mine (an 88XJ if I didn't mention it) had the wire. I'd have to doublecheck, but I don't remember removing a wire from the clutch.

Audiophile said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that would keep the motor from cranking wouldn't it? I'd have to doublecheck, but I don't remember removing a wire from the clutch.
I don't remember the actual behaviour of what happens when the wire is missing, but it's worth checking into: the wire that's on the pedal gets groudned when you push the clutch in which then allows you to start the vehicle. If you removed the clutch pedal there might have been wire on it.

You're mentionig that
I noticed that I missed one under the dash (since I had removed my clutch pedal)
What are you refering to? a wire that was attached to...? what did you do with it?

Ah, actually it was a set of 3 wires on a transparent white plug, that were plugged directly into the steering column. Didn't seem to have any affect.

when swapping trannys, did you reconnect the cps or could it of been damaged?

i dont have a clutch interlock on my 89, so i doubt its that.

The CPS is reconnected, but there is a distinct possibility that it is damaged. I did see some exposed wire at the base of the CPS itself. I tried to epoxy the base of it, but it may not have worked.

If the CPS is not working will not crank, or would it cause it not to spark?

Back