• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Warped brake rotors what works?

SOOLONG

NAXJA Forum User
I have lift. I have large tires. I now have brake pulsation. I need new rotors. Any body have a good suggestion for after market venilated rotors or something that will be less prone to warpage. I have researched the brands now I just want some one who has actually had success because I know Iam not the first jeep with this problem. Let me Know and here is thanx in advance. :yelclap:

99 xj, 31x10.5x15 tires, cast rotors

Joe

I run 35's and the cheap $20 Autozone rotors. No problems. You just have to make sure that the lug nuts are properly torqued. And that your calipers are in good contition and don't drag the pads.

agreed, don't use a lug wrench and body weight to tighten your wheel nuts. use a torque wrench. I also run cheap rotors with good pads. stops on a dime, no brake fade and smooth.

For clarification I am a mechanic I do use a torque wrench on every set of lug nuts that goes out the door according to specification. I know this is not the problem. The brake rotors have 55,000 miles on them and they need to be replaced along with the pads that have about 3/32nds left on them. Since I installed the lift I have used the transmission to help slow me down and I am easy on the brakes.

The rotors are so easy to change that I can change them out in a blink. I guess I would like to see increased braking performance since with the added weight of larger tires, front winch bumper rear spare tire carrier high lift jack etc. The set that I am mosted interested in at this point is from a company called Frozen Rotors out of St. Paul MN. I just have read that they are great. Has any one else used these rotors or are there other rotors that someone has used that they would swear by. Money is not the deciding factor.

I do not like to do things unless they are done right. At the very least I would install factory rotors again. The aftermarket rotors made in china somtimes get shipped to me to install on a customers vehicle and they come pre-warped due to stacking them to high in storage or just plain quality control not mention the quality of the metal used in them. Have you ever tried to make a living on doing a break job three times because the customer wants inexpesive cheap parts. Wow I kind of went on a rant. oops! Let me know what you think.

Joe

Back a few years ago I bought a set of wagners, rotors and drums. Bought them because I was in orlando Florida and wanted to get them cyrogenically treated at the place there that does all the nascar and cart work. It took them 4 days to do the process and I checked them as baggage on the flight home "whats in that bag, rocks ??" "no, brakes". From all reports this treatment is supposed to stop the warping problem but I have not had to replace them yet thanks to that factory recall a couple of years ago.
I noticed that my sons brakes are pulsing on his TJ a bit, I made the mistake of going down a long mountain road and pulling into a self service car wash near the bottom, shoulda waited to power spray his aluminum mags I think. So I'm going to retorque the wheels and do the overheat and let it coast to a stop thing a couple of times and see if that straightens them out any. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't ..... If not then I guess I find out if the TJ and XJ take the same rotors and maybe pads...

I put the crossdrilled PowerStop TRW rotors on the 86 XJ, so far I am very happy with them. Noticeable improvement in stopping power. I also used the matching TRW 911 Extreme Performance Power Stopsemi-metalic brake pads.
https://www.4wd.com/shopcherokee/ & punch in TRW in the product search box. A set of these will be going on the WJ when it's brake time in a year or two.
Mike B.

Personally I don't see the need for cross drilled rotors on an XJ. They arent high performance road machines. I'm not going to spend the extra money on rotors and even rear disc conversion when all four tires can be locked up. If the brakes can be locked up there is no performance to be gained since your most powerfull braking is done at inpending lockup. And as far as brake fade, I have never noticed any. You may even check to see if your rims are warped at the mating surface. Rims can be warped by excessive heat (usually due to a neglected system). So even if you torque them correctly they can still warp the rotors. Just my $0.02 Neil

Back