• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

changing ignition switch

utahxjer

NAXJA Forum User
Hey my bud's 87' xj's ignition is acting up. When he wiggles the swtich some of the electronics don't work like the: heater, a/c, radio, blinkers, horn.

Does he need a new ignition or is it something else? Electrical?

thanks

Ignition Switch

The ignition switch is at the bottom of the steering column, operated by a rod down from the key cylinder. They do eventually give up the ghost.....cheap to replace, they are a standard GM type. I would start by checking that the rod moves the switch, and look at the contacts. If those check out, replace the switch. Anybody know a good switch test procedure? 4xBob

Re: Ignition Switch

4xBob said:
The ignition switch is at the bottom of the steering column, operated by a rod down from the key cylinder. They do eventually give up the ghost.....cheap to replace, they are a standard GM type. I would start by checking that the rod moves the switch, and look at the contacts. If those check out, replace the switch. Anybody know a good switch test procedure? 4xBob
thanks Bob

yw ir a vcirly chcap part+and easy to replace. It sounds like that is what is probably going on. Some people will tell yn| that you need to drop`uhe colÔmn, but`iavd nefmr had to.
Dustin

Back