• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No dash instruments or radio after pulling dash

Powellae

NAXJA Forum User
I just fixed a defroster problem in my 1999 Cherokee - the flap that controls the defroster function was loose and blocking the defrost vents when the fan was turned up. I had to get the dash loose to fix it, but I pushed the loose control arm back onto the shaft and now the defrosters work great.

BUT - after re-installing the dash, there are some non-functional dash devices.

I have dash lights and the check light functions on the dash work - air bag, brakes, etc. But I have no functioning gauges, speedo or tach - none of them move at all.

Possibly as a separate issue - I have the factory AM/FM/CD and it won't turn on after being removed and re-installed. The factory service manual makes no mention of a security lockout, but is there one?

I've checked the fuse block and all the fuses are fine. I've also checked the large electrical connector located on the driver's side of the center console under the knee bolster and it appears to be connected securely.

Any ideas what the problem is????

The 97-01's have a problem like that because of the contacts in the back of the cluster, the lights etc work but the gauges all quit sometimes for good or sometimes its just random, it used to happen to my friends 99 and at night like I said all the lights would stay on but the gauges would drop out, smack the top of the dash and they would jump to life again

Pull that middle panel out then take out the gauge cluster, clean off the contacts and make sure its clipped back in all the way, maybe you jarred it loose a little when you took the other stuff apart, thats all I can think of for that problem

No idea on the radio if all the fuses are good, but as far as I know there is no secur. lock out because if there was it would state in the owners manual how to set it

I got lucky on this one - pulled the instrument cluster again and triple-checked the contacts, then I got suspicious and went to the big electrical contact with the bolt through it (next to the console on the driver's side, accessed through the knee bolster area). Turned out that when re-installing the dash, the gent helping me hadn't QUITE screwed the bolt all the way tight, and therefore it wasn't making contact. Half a dozen turns later the bolt was tight and everything works, including the radio! YOWZA!!

Back