• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Camping & Shooting---Lyttle Creek Saturday-Monday

JohnX

Sarge
NAXJA Member
I will be camping in a yellow post site somewhere in Lyttle Creek this weekend for the holiday. It will be Myself and Amie, Amies brother and his wife, all in my Jeep. We'll be shooting from about 9-2pm Saturday, and Camping Saturday and Sunday nights. If anyone would like to join us, feel free. The campsites are FREE, well dispersed, remote(4x4), and spacious. Any 4WD is welcome, stock, built, whatever.

Let me know if you're coming and I'll be on the lookout (CB). Otherwise just show up and eat my food. :D
You're also welcome to come up for a day and find me...then we'll hit some rocks or shoot.
Hope to see someone there.

Donde estas Lyttle Creek? I'm in Coronado....I like shooting.....I like jeeps.

I-15 north to Sierra Ave. Exit Sierra ave north....Takes you right into the canyon, just gas up at the station by the freeway...last chance. Follow the main road ALL THE WAY to the end...It will turn to dirt about 10 miles from the freeway. The gun range is about 100 feet before you hit the dirt. I will be there Sat. 9am-2pmish.

From San Diego, it is probably about a 3 hour tour (funny?). It is about 25 miles west of Azusa.

I will have several .22s, 12 gauges, .410, handguns, etc. You are welcome to shoot my guns, but if you want to blow through alot of ammo...please feel free to contribute $.

FYI Last time I was there the range fee was $8 for the day.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&om=1&z=12&ll=34.310831,-117.522812&spn=0.207298,0.322037

If you zoom in or out you can see exactly where I'll be. The map is centered at the end of the road.

Last edited:
thats a nice area, but I really didnt like the lyttle creek shooting range. Id rather go to the extra 30 minutes to the dezert and shoot whatever I want for free. SanGabriel Valley Gun Club has a nice prefessionaly ran shooting range.

juryrigjalopy said:
thats a nice area, but I really didnt like the lyttle creek shooting range. Id rather go to the extra 30 minutes to the dezert and shoot whatever I want for free. SanGabriel Valley Gun Club has a nice prefessionaly ran shooting range.
When were you there last? There have been "other" shooting ranges in Lyttle Creek for many years and some of them are a joke. This one (Firing Line) has only been there for a couple years and has been improving constanty since it was built. My only complaint is the lack of shade....I bring my own EZup.

As for going to the desert....For me, that is more than twice as far. It also sucks to camp in the desert when it is 110 degrees in the shade....my campsite in Lyttle Creek is 6000 ft, and should have a high of 80 degrees :D IIRC it is illegal to shoot freely in the desert. BLM land allow open shooting of Shotguns ONLY...no rifles or pistols.

John you are correct shot guns only in the desert now. you really dont want that ticket either, my neighbor got one last year and the confiscated hall his gus and had to pay 1200 in fines

CHANGE OF PLANS>>>>

My brother-in-law has to work in the morning, so we are not going up until Saturday afternoon. We will be Shooting Sunday morning.

CB will be on Ch 10.

Directions.
210 to the 15 north.
15 North Exit Sierra Ave. (about 3-4 miles north of the 210)
Left on Sierra Ave. (North, go under the freeway)
Last chance to get gas is right there by the freeway.
Keep going North on Sierra, It will take you into the canyon.
NO TURNS after you are going north on Sierra. Sierra becomes LYTTLE CREEK RD.
A few miles from the freeway there is a Ranger Station on the right.
8-10 miles from the freeway there is a Shooting range on the right...This is the range at the END of the road, not the first on you will see.
After you pass the range the road turns to dirt.
In about another mile or so you make a left turn across the riverbed...this is the roughest part of the trail. You should now be headin up Coldwater Canyon. I will be At the last campsite...if it is available.

27yvgx4.jpg

JohnX said:
When were you there last? There have been "other" shooting ranges in Lyttle Creek for many years and some of them are a joke. This one (Firing Line) has only been there for a couple years and has been improving constanty since it was built. My only complaint is the lack of shade....I bring my own EZup.

As for going to the desert....For me, that is more than twice as far. It also sucks to camp in the desert when it is 110 degrees in the shade....my campsite in Lyttle Creek is 6000 ft, and should have a high of 80 degrees :D IIRC it is illegal to shoot freely in the desert. BLM land allow open shooting of Shotguns ONLY...no rifles or pistols.

The lack of shade really makes it a pain. I was there a couple of years ago and we just had a bad experience with their customer service. SGV gunclub is just as far for me and nicer in my opinion.

Just got home...yeah early.

Note to Self....
Too many flies on Labor day weekend in Lyttle Creek.

LOL flies in lyttle creek no way

I was just about the head out the door to see if I could find ya out there. My little sis wants to go playon the rocks but worked till 12

juryrigjalopy said:
The lack of shade really makes it a pain. I was there a couple of years ago and we just had a bad experience with their customer service. SGV gunclub is just as far for me and nicer in my opinion.

Ever gone to West End Gun Club?

well thats why i could not find you out there . you were at home , had fun looking for you though . i think we hit almost all the trails up there. sorry we missed you

juryrigjalopy said:
For those who don't know, the SGVGC is slated to be closed (damn, another range bites the dust!) The resident's in proximity of the range (who knew what they were getting into when they moved there) have successfully petitioned for it's closure http://www.allsafedefense.com/Legislation/SGCGunClub.htm . This really sucks, as there are hardly any public ranges anymore. I've been shooting there since I was about 7yrs old (40 yrs ) and am really going to miss it!------------Hans

Back