• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

master cylinder upgrade

I have a 91' jeep cherokee, 4.0, Aw4, 231. I want to swap the master cylinder and brake booster in from a 96' grand cherokee. I cando the modifications, my question is does it make a particular difference if the doner jeep had ABS? Last time I looked, that didnt affect the master cylinder, just wanted to make sure before I buy the parts. I have skimmed over some write ups, but I dont remember seeing one where someone crossed ABS into a non-ABS jeep.

Thanks
Dave

You want a non-abs donor - as the master does have abs stuff associated with it - the computer still has to make a physical input into the hydraulic system - the reservior may be the same but the valving and the actuator are intergrated....

Not completly true. They changed around 96. I got a 96 booster from a zj and it is perfect. But if you get any newer it will have integrated sensors and the rods begine to change.

If the booster has a sensor coming out of the passenger side then I would not use it.

katarn

I did a MC/Booster from a 97 when I removed the ABS on my 91. Fit fine and I just had to swap a few fittings so they would match the Prop valve and I was all set. If you need a MC/Booster I have a spare from my parts jeep (97 non abs)
I was going to take pix and do a write up but it was quite simple so I didn't. I used the extra time to clean up all the brake fluid that ran out of the ABS pump when I yanked it!

I think the whole ABS system is seperate from the master cylinder on alot of vehicles, i thoguht it was some sort of valve system that the brake lines pass through once you put enoguh pressure in the lines it opens a valve letting pressure off so the wheels dont lock up. I COULD be wrong though im no genious so tell me im wrong if i am

Back