• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 Fuel Filter

jdraylob2002

NAXJA Forum User
After buying my XJ last fall, i was amazed to not be able to find a filter on it. In doing some research, i see that the filter is part of the pump in the in the tank. Which i don't really like.

Has anyone been splicing the fuel line and putting in a filter anyway?

If you search I'm sure you'll find some information on it (I remember seeing it somewhere). But even if you put another filter on it, it will only add protection to the injectors/rail... I'd be a nice peace of mind, but the only thing that it would be filtering is what doesn't get past the stocker... Let us know if you do it though....

Will.

I just have a hell of a time believing that the filter inside the tank, with a life expectancy of 100k miles or whatever you'd like to compare it too, is worth a damn if it isn't regularly serviceable. I'm sure all things being considered.. the engineers know what they are doing, but when i'm used to replacing fuel filters every 15k miles, i start to wonder what might be accumulating in places it shouldn't.

I'll probably do some added research on the topic. If i do anything, i'll be sure to post about it. Thanks for the reply.

The reasoning behind the 'lifetime' fuel filter/pump is from the accountants - Lots of manufacture's are doing this now. Let's see how many lifetime components I can come up with - just off the top of my head.

*Fuel Filter
*Spark Plugs
*Coolant
*Air Filter

And the list go's on.... I don't like the idea of not haveing a serviceable fuel filter either - but such is life...

IIRC there was a article floating around on JeepForum.com about replacing the inner component's of the pump/filter - ended up being a lot less expensive....

Will.

I'm really disturbed by this trend also. If I had one of these vehicles I would consider replacing the tank filter with an older style screen pickup if possible combined with a real fuel filter. Why? I drive a lot in Baja and other remote areas and sometimes the gas has a lot of dirt in it. I have plugged the filter only 2000 miles after changing it.

Yes, '97 up was when they went to the in tank version... Mine was replaced @ 110K - and I assume it'll need to be done by 200K as well... Many manufactures are going this route - it gets stuff out of the way - for other stuff. GM is an exception, most fords have an external filter as well...

Back