• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Head Bolts

devildog0

NAXJA Forum User
Going to swap my headbolts for new ones when I replace my head as I don't know what the history is on the existing ones. ARP or Fel Pro? This is not a built engine just a stock 4.0. I'm also open to other brands or even OEM.

I always figured I would go with either of those too.
Probably just end up with FelPro cause I can get them through my store.
But I got curious about the OEM bolts.
So assuming I am reading my '00 parts catalog correctly this is what I come up with.

BOLT, Cylinder Head
6035514 5 qty w/o Dome
6035515 2 qty w/Dome
6035516 6 qty STUD, Double Ended, .50-13/.437-14x6.00

Well appears that from different sources you might be able to piece an OEM set together.
But in most instances not cheap.

On the '95 it probably does not make a difference. The ARPs do not have the studs to position the valve cover gasket for the 96+. On a stock motor, I'd probably use the Felpro. On a stroker, the ARP. Don't forget that one of the bolts needs sealant. I think #11.

The ARPs do not have the studs to position the valve cover gasket for the 96+.

The bolts have nothing to do with the valve cover gasket!
P1080515_zpsy6cfykns.jpg

P1090067.JPG

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...0l+l6,1363384,engine,valve+cover+gasket,10710

Yours is an aftermarket VC. I hope the link to RA works. Expand one of the pictures. There are two holes in the aluminum for bolt positioning location. No so on older VC gaskets.
Also look at the head bolts at RA for a 2000. The pictures will show the post to locate the VC gasket.

What your seeing has nothing to due with the head bolts, period! I may run a aftermarket cover but it uses a factory gasket!

devildog, ARP's are not for just strokers, they just provide the best/most consistent/strongest clamping power for the head/head gasket. All other bolts (even the Fel-pro's) have more stretch.

Ditto what RCP Phx said about ARP bolts. IIRC currently available Fel Pro bolts "are use ONCE and then chuck". Reusable high quality ARP bolts, in my view, are the ONLY WAY to go!

Merry Christmas and Peace!

CJR

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...0l+l6,1363384,engine,valve+cover+gasket,10710

Yours is an aftermarket VC. I hope the link to RA works. Expand one of the pictures. There are two holes in the aluminum for bolt positioning location. No so on older VC gaskets.
Also look at the head bolts at RA for a 2000. The pictures will show the post to locate the VC gasket.

Yes, the RockAuto link works, and yes those registration holes are useful for positioning the gasket. My '96 has those, and so does the engine in The Varmints' '97 ZJ.

Thanks guys. Dropping order on ARP.

Arp here

theyre cheap.

If you get into Diesel stuff its worth lookong at all the options cause they range in the 400-1000 price range for a set
f230f809d2b5dcda69a8038f3bdc4d5b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Uh, no. And that valve cover is an aftermarket. I use that one too. They add the bosses to position that newer gasket. Previously, they used RTV sealant.

Uh, no. And that valve cover is an aftermarket. I use that one too. They add the bosses to position that newer gasket. Previously, they used RTV sealant.

The head didn't change, no boss's were added to it! I was running a factory valve cover originally with no modifications required to run ARP bolts!

Back