• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Won't shift to OD

ride2700

NAXJA Forum User
I drive a 98 Classic that wouldn't shift into overdrive this morning and my check engine light came on shortly thereafter. It was cold for the first time here (Florida, about 32-33) so I thought that might have something to do with it. Normally works just fine, no problems at all. Anybody have any suggestions or have this happen to them? Thanks in advance guys for any advice.

Check your transmission position sensor. It is on the side of the tranny opposite the shift lever. They are silly expensive, but fortunately, they are servieable

Check your transmission position sensor. It is on the side of the tranny opposite the shift lever. They are silly expensive, but fortunately, they are servieable

is that the same thing as a NSS, ive not heard of a trans position sensor.

ride2700

did you check for codes since the CEL came on?

There's A 5 amp fuse on the passenger side fuse box, check that. I bought 5 new o2 sensors and a pcm before breaking out the schematics and going wire to wire before I found that. It doesn't pull up on alot of schematics you find out there, even the stealership's seeing as how they didn't find it either on 2 separate occasions. . . I used alldatadiy.com's.

I drive a 98 Classic

What year is your XJ?

i think he should be able to retrieve the codes himself without a scanner for his 98, i dont know the procedure though.

ride2700
do a search for the procedure to rectrieve codes or get a FSM.

you could create a new threaad on how to retrieve codes for a 98 or go to auto parts store an see if they can scan for codes.

is that the same thing as a NSS, ive not heard of a trans position sensor.

ride2700

did you check for codes since the CEL came on?

Yes, same thing.

Go by any parts store (Advance, Autozone, O'reily's) they should read the code for you and give you the "P" number.

Thanks guys for the help but on my drive home after work it had warmed up to the mid 60's and it was fine again. No problems this morning when it was cold again and the light has gone out. Will it store the codes, now that the light has gone out will I be able to retreive it?

Back