• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cant shift into 4lo

Rubican!

NAXJA Forum User
Hello! we have been gettign pounded with snow so i have been driving my 1999 XJ Classic alot in 4 hi. The other day i tried to shift it into 4 lo to go up gravel/dirt snowed out road and it would not go into 4lo. It goes into 4 hi easy and it works great. You can go in and out moving and stopped and it shift nice and solid to 4 hi every time but when i try to go to 4 lo it just hangs. It will not even shift into neutral. Any ideas?

Thanks

Matt

Is the lever moving freely, not only back and forth but side to side? Remember that the lever must be pushed to the right as you shift past 4 high. I've had an infrequently used one get too stiff to pass the gate into neutral. If that's the case you can usually limber it up by just working at it for a while.

If you suspect the TC itself, you can get underneath, and disconnect the linkage. Then you'll be able to find quickly enough whether the TC shifts through all positions, or whether it's further up in the linkage.

Is the lever moving freely, not only back and forth but side to side? Remember that the lever must be pushed to the right as you shift past 4 high. I've had an infrequently used one get too stiff to pass the gate into neutral. If that's the case you can usually limber it up by just working at it for a while.

If you suspect the TC itself, you can get underneath, and disconnect the linkage. Then you'll be able to find quickly enough whether the TC shifts through all positions, or whether it's further up in the linkage.

x2, and you are slowing down to 2~3 mph, shifting the transmission to neutral, and then push the tc lever to the right and pulling it firmly into 4lo?

well i have not done it firmlly for the fear of braking it but we are going to the store to get some food so ill post when i get back if i have any luck. And yes i do move it to the right. And there is no "free play"

Back